Buffalo Big Dance

Les Stentors:

IMAGE_027.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Les Stentors 2008 program is The Legend of Sinbad.

I count 9 guard, 4 basses, 2 teenors, 4 snares, 8 pit, 14 brass, and 1 DM.

Good start to the show, although I'm getting much more upper brass at this point Guard is split between flags and sabres. Posture issues throughout the horns and brass, too.

The wind is gusty tonight, which is giving the guard a tough time and will probably continue to do so all night.

Next piece starts with the low brass, which is very strong, putting out a lot of sound for such a small hornline.

Half the guard is now on rifles.

Trumpet soloist is having a tough time with his solo, unfortunately.

Quick drum break before the horns come back in.

The drill doesn't go outside the 30's very often, which is understandable as the size of the corps limits how spread out they can be.

Lots of whistling and clapping from the audience. They like Les Stentors!

Mellophone soloist starts the third piece.

Still getting a lot of trumpet sound from the hornline. Of course, that might be because they're the ones right in front of me right now.

The whole corps is now half-time marching across the field, not an easy task at the tempo they're playing at. After a brief moment of regular time marching, they're at it again.

Whoa, Bass #4 almost got run over by #3.

Wow, great chord from the low brass as they turn from facing the side 1 endzone towards the front. The fourth piece appears to be the show's ballad, featuring a company front from the corps during a particularly majestic moment in the music. The corps goes right into speed mode, though, and the closer begins.

I will say, while Legends had a better brass sound, Les Stentors has the better endurance and finishes their show stronger. Overall, though, I'm going to go with Legends above Les Stentors for the moment.

We're going across the pond now as Beatrix prepares to come onto the field next.