The Academy, Official 2008 Discussion Thread

A lot of the other corps have one of these and this year it seems like the team from Tempe is in need of a little love and props for what they are doing this summer with what has been termed a "monster" of a show.

Great job today in Atlanta!!! Keep up the great work and clean, clean, clean!!!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. The show this afternoon was AWSOME. I think they have the most elegant show in DCI this year. My daughter is in the colorguard and although the whole corps is disappointed with the scores, they are happy comming off the field. .20 behind PC tonight?? - that was hard to swallow. Can we overcome a 5 point spread to make the finals....? I think so! I Believe!

Edited by xrock80

Anyone else see the show recently? I too love the music. It is not often you hear Mozart and Shoenberg on the field at all let alone together. Not a lot of corps could pull off a show like this and while it has flaws major props for the attempt and we still don't know where it will place.

Honestly, I think their show's way too schizophrenic to follow or keep up with.

Hornline's playing phenomenally well- hopefully they have a better vehicle next year.

The colorguard hasn't been using a complete set of show silks until today. Now that they have all their equipment, and 2 weeks to polish, I think we'll see a last minute surge.

The colorguard hasn't been using a complete set of show silks until today. Now that they have all their equipment, and 2 weeks to polish, I think we'll see a last minute surge.

Good to know, I think the Guard score going up will prove to be the difference of one or two places in the end.

A lot of the other corps have one of these and this year it seems like the team from Tempe is in need of a little love and props for what they are doing this summer with what has been termed a "monster" of a show.

Great job today in Atlanta!!! Keep up the great work and clean, clean, clean!!!

:laughing::thumbup::ph34r:

I am so happy to see this happen!!! Thanks, SteenAZ! I am looking forward to seeing some honest discussion and comments on Academy and their performances, and in seeing them get the love and props they deserve.

I wonder why so many members of the guard seem to spend so much time sitting on the sidelines? I have read in other posts that people feel a "small" guard hurts some corps, like Mandarin for example. Academy has a very talented guard (3rd at wgi this year is nothing to sneeze at) but it seems to me that they are not being used as much as they could be. I was glad to read that they now have all their silk. I just really feel like the guard gets no respect from the judges, and hasn't for the 3 years I have been following them. Is this s performance or a design issue? It sure would be nice to move up a few places in the guard captions....

So, our next show is Monday. I think we need to score over 78 in a serious way. A score over 80 at Allentown would be another goal to fight for.

It is not often you hear Mozart and Shoenberg on the field at all let alone together.

corpsreps.com lists all the music as being by Philip Wilby...did i miss something?

it's great to see the guard has gotten the attention they needed since that was (no offense intended here) the "weakest" section of last year's corps...i've also been a huge supporter of Academy since meeting them while with Mystikal in 2004. I was really looking forward to watching them yesterday because I have yet to see them from the front (i was behind with the scaffolding in Riverside and moved away after that season), but i have to say i was drawn into the show. in fact, i found myself loosing focus and looking at other things on my screen. now i have to wonder if it was because i was streaming the show on the computer (and how much was due to my short attention span), but hopefully that's not something that happens live.

i did notice some feet issues and of course there was dirt in the drill (still things plauging every corps), and there were some holes, again all but 3 corps had some. if they are able to clean this stuff up...basics, basics, basics...they have a chance to make a late season surge. finals? doubt it this year, the competition is really tight from about 8th place down, but definitely has potential to make semis again (of course my bias towards Pacific Crest hopes they don't get knocked out because of Academy)

good luck