Atlanta show

A little backround info first....I have never marched, but have been HUGE drum corps fan for about 10 years now. This show was a fun one to watch for me because i watched it with a bunch of my family and friends. See I am leaving later this morning for Texas to begin my masters degree in trumpet performance, so this was a going away party of sorts. Most every body was there just for me and to say good bye, and not for the show. However it was very cool to see the reaction of people who had never seen drum corps, there was lots of talking for some coprs and silence for others (more on that later on). We had my laptop hooked up to a 55 inch tv and the surround was on full blast........It was fantastic!!!!

Ok anyway on to the show (one more thing, this was my first viewing of all of the shows from top to bottom. I have seen several clips on other websites but none of the shows fully through)

The Crossmen

Good showing tonight. There were some very interesting arrangments in this show. Dont know if I really liked what I was hearing but they did perform it well, and I thought they shoulda moved up one spot based on their performance. Not to much to say however. this being my first viewing of them i dont really remember much. I thought it was cool how they worked in "wonderful world" as their ballad....over all not bad, but not great. just good.

The Glassmen

I dont know what it was but I just wasn't feelin this show. The whole carnival/circus vibe does not appeal to me on the field....never has. So the beggining of their show was just kinda blah....I do recall it getting a little better....but not much better in my opinion, and I heard several individual players in their ballad.

I could see why they might have beatin the crossmen from a design stand point but not in much else. Sorry G-MEN but you didnt really do it for me.

Blue Stars

For me this was the first corp of the night that really brought it on and performed what they had at a high level. The hornline is strong and the show design is good what hurts them a little are those white unis. I think they are lookin ok visually but the white really can make you look dirty. none the less they performed their show well and I thought them moving up a spot was very deserved. Congrats Blue Stars

Boston Crusaders

I read alot of hype about them early in the season....but i was not very impressed at all. It could have been their show Tonight....but it just wasnt happenin visually or musically here. I could tell that this show could be good it performed at a higher level, but tonight was just very flat for me. They had a few holes, that coulda hurt them. I also feel that their drill was just a tad bit to difficult for them, but like i said this could have been an off night for them. Family and friends also talked alot during this show, whcih was annoying but I guess it just didnt grab their attention. When the Blue Stars were on there was not as much talking. If they want to get back up to 9 (which i dont think they will) they have to seriously sell it

SCV

SCV is the the corps that I have loved since I first got into drum corps. Their 98 show will always be my favorite show because it was the show that made me a drumcorps fans. Tonight they performed pretty good. Mind, and body are def. cleaner than spirit. I mean when they started their show I felt that the show was at a championship level, but the more into the show they got, the further that feeling would go. They are strong in alot of their captions as well, its just somthing kinda left them the further they got into the show. There is still some time for them to make a move, but it will only be about 2 spots max. I still love you SCV,keep workin hard.

Blue Knights

I thought I would not like this show based off reviews I have read....but i was wrong, and ended enjoying it fine. My friends actually enjoyed them over SCV.

I thought SCV deserved to place higher, but not buy 3 points (I think it was around 3 points). BK performed what they had well and sold their show to me and everyone sitting in the living room. Sad that I cant remember much of the show, but I do remember enjoying it. Nice Job BK

Intermission: everyone ran and got some food from the kitchen, came back to the sofa and chatted. It seemed that my family was enjoying it, but they were still pretty chatty. I didnt really care to much we were having a great time.

The Cadets

Ok well....I REALLY REALLY WISH THEY DIDNT HAVE THE VOCALS. Im sorrryy, i know everyones been saying the same thing, bit it is so true. I read plenty of reviews saying just listen to the corps behind all the chatter....and i really tried to, but the point is, during a drum corps show I should not have to TRY to listen to the drum corps. It seems like they are just talking just because they can. In no way did it enhance the show . Even though i hear they have taken alot of the chit chat out it only annoyed me even more, because as soon as i would start to forget about it, or get into the show it would come back. I couldnt even really tell what they were saying because all of the chatter on the screen caused there to be chatter amongst my family and friends. It is a shame because besides the talking this show is very cool musically and visually. The 100% deserved to be where they ended up....but not by much.

Phantom Regiment

These guys are the real deal. They are just hands and feet down good. The chatter in my living room was nearly at a complete hush when they were on the feild. They just demanded your attention. They sell this show from top to bottom, end of story. No one will touch them musically for the rest of the season, and you can tell the corps loves what they are doing out there. This was the most emotional show of the night and could over take BD at the end of the season. ONE THING I DO NOT UNDERSTAND is how they got 5th in visual, Murfreesboro. Tonight the looked great out there, and contrary to what many believe the visual works great with what they are playing. It all makes sense, and it aint easy either, not to mention they look clean in those white uni's. I sure hope they dont get 5th in visual for tonights performance, because in all honesty I thought they looked better than BD did. These guys have got the total package and I hope this show takes them to the promise land.

Bluecoats

This show is just ok to me. I thought it hurt that they went on after Regiment. The only part I love in this show is the horns playing in the ballad front and stage right, with a great sound and loud. Besides that moment, the show was just ok. Dont have much else to say. I am sorry if you are a bluecoat lover.

Cavaliers

Well I have been talking about how my Family was chatting it up most of the show....Well you could not hear a pin drop during this show. There were so many ooos and ahhhs going on i could not help but laugh. I expected that everyone would love these guys, because no body looks like they do on the field. They are just breath taking. There is so much going on at any given moment, yet they know exactly how to draw your attention to a specific spot on the field if they want to. The Brass sounds GREAT. They are very well blended and they execute their music like pros. I thought tonight they should have won, and think, like phantom, they can win come finals. The spread between them and BD got a little smaller tonight. BD had better look out, cuz they got 2 corps from illinois on their tail. This show will not place out of the top 3.

Crown

I am thrilled to see what has been going on with them lately. I think they sound AMAZING....AMAZING (i had to say it again) That first hit just gets your heart going. Although visually they are performing pretty darn well....it is holding them back in my opinion. But look, this corps is on fire no matter what i say. They know what they are doing and if they clean up just a bit more who knows. I am thinking they will stay right where they are but I am rootin for them. ohhh almost forgot to mention that their ballad was the most muscal thing I heard all night. Congrats Crown

BD

*SIGH* well maybe it was because i was watching on high cam and kinda missed all the cool things the percussion and guard were doing, or because I was expected somthing that would be out of this world (because after seeing Cavies and Regiment surely the show that is beating them would have to be), but i do not understand how they have been so untouched the whole season. This is a show that can be beaten, the question is by who. I understand they are clean and execute their show at a very high level, but I was not that impressed. I did not feel like I was watching the 2008 dci world champ. Now I am not saying they are not great. But for a show to have just a night earlier,pointed 2nd place, I was expecting somthing more. Like I said this show can be beaten, and the margin did get smaller tonight, so I guess we will all see together....dont crown them just yet. In 98 I believe (I could be wrong) they went undefeated all the way through quarters and lost it in the last 2 nights. All that being said good show and best of luck BD.

Well that is it....It was a wonderful night that my family and I enjoyed very much. I am certain there are several typos in this review and im sorry about that. It is late and I am tired, BUT I HOPE YOU STILL ENJOY IT.

good night everyone = )

Nice review!

Harvey

Very good review.

BTW, don't be upset with the family for talking through the shows while watching over the internet. My wife and I have been involved in the activity for 37 and 44 years, respectively, and we talked through most of the shows as well. I think people feel alot more relaxed and freer to comment when watching on TV versus in person.

Oh, and good luck on your Masters.

Edited by kansasDC

ha.. yeah, on tv theres definitely a lot more talking, random commentary, calling out people for screwing something up.. fun things you can't do at a real show.

Great review...I just posted a review of my own, and I agree with a lot of your opinions; especially with the Blue Devils and Cadets and SCV.