GENERAL MARCHING......

I noticed so many problems locking forms in during the webcast, and it drove me insane. Also, why were so many corps marching with so many holes? It was either that or intervals were REALLY bad.... Blue Stars almost made me think they were missing a bass drum, their intervals were so off, same for BAC with the intervals in the snare line.

I noticed the same. However, I heard a rumor, that in BAC's case that they are marching 110 drum corps "rookies" this year. Is that true? If so, that would be a big contributor to this problem.

Edited by drumcorpspredictions

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they were missing a bass drum...

Well, then let me reverse my statement to say that they did a commendable job of filling the gap..... most of the time.

I noticed the same. However, I heard a rumor, that in BAC's case that they are marching 110 drum corps "rookies" this year. Is that true and that is a big contributor.

I'm not sure, but that would be a big factor.... If that is the case, I'm wowed at their execution with that many rookies on the field. Still, the messes that they called rotating circles were irritating....

i mean, most drum corps fans under 25 think old school moves like company fronts and pinwheels are so simplistic they are laughable, and have no idea that a big, slow moving turning line is really the most difficult to clean move you can put on the field. it might not be as dangerous as some of the modern kaleidoscopic jazz running stuff, but its so exposed that anyone in the stadium can pick it apart and see one person 3 inches out of the form. literally. i have nothing but respect for old school corps who pulled off those old school moves so cleanly back in the day. i wouldn't want to see drill go back to the old military parade style, but i wish the judges and audiences would appreciate the occasional big, in your face, slow developing impossibly clean military move, theres a place for that in drum corps too.

I've never met a staff or band or corps member that didnt think a company front was one of the hardest things in the world to do. A slow TURNING company front...well even harder....and Ive done one myself. I was near the middle...still pretty hard. I'm not sure where you meet these people that have no respect for the difficulty of older shows / moves, but I sure never see them...

I've never met a staff or band or corps member that didnt think a company front was one of the hardest things in the world to do. A slow TURNING company front...well even harder....and Ive done one myself. I was near the middle...still pretty hard. I'm not sure where you meet these people that have no respect for the difficulty of older shows / moves, but I sure never see them...

Yeah, my high school band is currently being forced to grasp the concept of a company front. They're catching on faster than I thought, though, from my rear view in the battery.

First off let me say that the talent from top to bottom (17) is better then it has ever been but with that being said does anyone see the basic visual/individual errors for almost every corps with the exception of maybe three.

In watching both SA and ATL webcast, I noticed most corps have basic issues with forms locking in and interval problems all over the place. I realize the the show being designed are much harder but harder doesn't always mean better. Is this because there are more members on the field?

Anyone???

I can look at the Cadets, SCV, Boston, Bluecoats and Phantom from just two summers ago at the same time of the year and you could see maybe three or four individuals sticking out fo a form but it seems this is out of control to date.

Your thoughts.......

Agreed. The visual stuff I saw in San Antonio up close was noticeably not up to par with previous years. Foot phasing in the top five especially had me scratching my head.

I noticed so many problems locking forms in during the webcast, and it drove me insane. Also, why were so many corps marching with so many holes? It was either that or intervals were REALLY bad.... Blue Stars almost made me think they were missing a bass drum, their intervals were so off, same for BAC with the intervals in the snare line.

If I recall, this is the time of year when handfuls of students have to return home for college business. Also, I'm wondering if there are more minor injuries occurring due to lack of proper physical training to handle what's expected out there.

Agreed with respect to marching basics...rank and file coverage, interval and forms. We watched Atlanta with my in-laws (mother and sister-in-law) who are both old school drum corps from back in the day. They both commented on why corps weren't covering down or keeping the form and in a lot of cases out of step in a simple transition. Maybe jazz runs at 170 bpm are not the best thing to try if a corps can't clean the simple stuff. While the staff may be always looking for the next "visual" moment the audience takes a snap shot of every move that instant. If it works great. If not then the next move dies by comparison.

Maybe jazz runs at 170 bpm are not the best thing to try if a corps can't clean the simple stuff.

Marching at 170bpm is the simple stuff. I would hate to jazz run at that tempo; it's way too slow.

Marching at 170bpm is the simple stuff. I would hate to jazz run at that tempo; it's way too slow.

LOL. :tongue: