It's Been A While....

Because many people look at woodwinds at I&E and think that the next step DCI takes is going to be "Well, look. twelve kids came out for saxophone I&E, and that's twelve kids we need marching. We had better make woodwinds legal."

I think those kids are marching already in the brass, percussion or guard. Can someone not in a corps just come out to I&E?

However, IMO WW should be legal, so anything to help them become so is fine by me, thought it's a LOOOONG way away I realize. There is no support for it in DCI right now.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think those kids are marching already in the brass, percussion or guard. Can someone not in a corps just come out to I&E?

My understanding is that anyone of DCI age could compete at I&E. Granted, that may have just been that first year of WW, and it's also possible that my mind only THINKS that is the case. But it really does think that is the case. :o)

My understanding is that anyone of DCI age could compete at I&E. Granted, that may have just been that first year of WW, and it's also possible that my mind only THINKS that is the case. But it really does think that is the case. :o)

Either way, the reality is that there are only a handful of WW players...hardly enough to warrent the thoughts of adding WW to drum corps, IMO.

Either way, the reality is that there are only a handful of WW players...hardly enough to warrent the thoughts of adding WW to drum corps, IMO.

I wonder if George Hopkins will being back his rule change proposal to add saxophones again at the 2009 B of D meetings?!?!

I wonder if George Hopkins will being back his rule change proposal to add saxophones again at the 2009 B of D meetings?!?!

Why bother?

The synths that are legal next year will eventually be allowed to sample woodwind sounds in a few years.

Bank on it.

I hope he does, though there is no way it will pass for quite a number of years. I don't think there is any support for WW in DCI right now.

Yes, it can be argued. Ask anyone that marched under the tick system....where:

1. Toe height was not the same across the horn line, or drum line.....tick

2. Finger placement on the sticks isn't consistent throughtout the snare line or tenor line.....tick

3. Not every stick is hitting in the center of the head and the angle of the sticks aren't coming back the same.....tick

4. Flams and single stroke rolls (unless your BD or Phantom) have been replaced by flash and awe......

I could go on.....

I don't think it's comparable at all, and I marched under the tick system.

I was a pretty decent snare drummer back in the day, marched quite a few years, but I can't begin to play the stuff my son plays today, let alone while crabbing 6 to five. He aged out in 2007 after 5 years of Div 1 snare drumming and believe me, these kids today are way more talented and playing and marching way harder material than we ever did.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

Drum corps a victim of it's own success in a way when the competitive band world took off starting in the 70's. As more corps alums became music educators..they brought their corps experiences and concepts to MB...and vice versa, esp with instrumentation on the "vice versa". Bands adapted corps-style shows and competitions; corps kept adapting the "hardware" of the band world as horns added valves, and marching percussion added just about anything found in the concert halls.

Mike, many oldtimmers fail to realize how bands have evolved and moved toward drum corps. Your post says much about how the genres have grown alike over the years. I agree 100%

Edited by oldtimedrummer

This is a classic example of an idiot and a moron. Mr tasty waves obviously keeps the company of idiots since he's qualified to designate who is and who isn't an idiot. The simple fact is there are lots of people here who are too young to have heard or seen a quality drum corps from the 70's, 80's and 90's and defend the quality of todays drum corps because they don't know any different. I like the quality from the 80's because of the sheer volume those hornlines were able to create. Could they come close today? Maybe, but they need the 70 person hornlines. These kids have never felt a hornline down to the bones. They've never heard all of the beautiful melodies that corps used to be known for. Today it's all bop bop chop. I'd rather see the Blue Devils march a show with an unforgettable melody than running across the field playing a technical piece just for the sake of being technical. I havent been able to walk away from a show lately and whistle a tune from anyone. These kids have to understand that other people fell in love with drum corps before they were born and it's actually O.K. for people to express their opinion or displeasure. I'd love to see one of the top corps take out their balls and use G horns with the 70 person hornlines. It used to be about the talent involved to make the G horns sizzle, yeah it takes a little extra effort, but that's what made drum corps great. This is all my opinion only. Travler Garvey

Some great points brought up here!!

Anyone remember which corps used to put up a "Noise Hazard" sign behind their drum major podium??

As the OP, I am not so much "displeasured" at the activity as much as I am the designers "caving in" to he esoteric bru ha-ha that the judging community has "nudged" them towards. If anyone dared to do a 1980 arrangement of SOA's "Georgia" and put today's type of visual package with it, I guaran-#### tee you they would have "post 1995" fans jumping out of their seats!!!

As for being able to leave the stadium "whistling a tune," there is a point more valid than anyone can fathom! "General Effect" should be defined more in literal terms than in what Mr./Mrs/Miss Ge Judge thinks it is! Correct me if I am wrong, but years back, GE judges had to take into consideration the "audience factor" albeit a small portion of their scope of resposibilities.

Might I siggest that some of the "newer" fans take a look at the Cavies videos/DVD's from the late 80's and early 90's. I can still hum the Rutter tunes they did, and the musical parts have more meat to them, and WAY LESS bop-n-chop. Couple that with the incredible drills they did then, and that is the "era" we need to re-embrace!!!

Drum corps is not, and should not be, easy. It is for the person who is the 'marching junkie'....who loves that idiom. Narration does nothing to make drum corps easy...it's just a tool to use to tell whatever story the designers want to communicate to the audience, like any other tool available to them.

Bb made it easier...amps made it easier...narration made it easier...electronics will make it easier.

Yes...narration is just a tool...yet the more tools you have, the easier it is to build something. Anyone can build a house with a Home Depot tool department...not many could do it win an ax, adz, and a hammer...

the dumbing down of drum corps...just like the dumbing down of America....it's sad.