SPLOOIE!

Like the slave said to the Roman conquerer returning from the wars while he accepted the thunderous cheers of the city : "Remember you are mortal, and all glory is passing".

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said, I'll watch them again. And I'll take time to count the notes this time. Silly me, I was focusing on tone quality, sonority, tuning, balance, blend, . .. ya know, Musicality. I'll count the notes and get back to you.

I'd agree that the tuning, tonal quality and balance within the Cavies brass is top notch. :thumbup:

However (IMO - FWIW) of the top 7 corps this year Cavies have the weakest brass book in terms of demand. Just like last year they're playing it safe. As always its just my opinion and not meant to offend, but Cavies brass should not even be in the top 5. There's not enough notes or power compared to some of the other corps. In particular I'd single out PR and Crown who this year have been able to produce maximum power without losing control. BD, SCV, Cadets and Bluecoats all have superior hornlines this year to the Cavies.

While the timing and penalties judge does count members on the field, I'm fairly certain the brass judge isn't instructed to count notes.

CavAlum - Agreed, and I don't think I suggested the brass judge does count the notes. If they did, Cavies hornline would be outside the top 12 - period. However, my issue was with the demand (and lack of it) in their horn book. Perhaps you can turn the sarcasm button off and discuss?

Ya I printed out that recap for the funny :thumbup:

Jersey surf, 8th in drums. Over Mandarins Academy and Troop.

Though if they were in World, I bet they would be taking out at least 2 of these groups in drums, so maybe the message here is "look to see Jersey surf in Semi-Finals next year":D.

They are on different sheets. When I marched div 2, the scale is different.

CavAlum - Agreed, and I don't think I suggested the brass judge does count the notes. If they did, Cavies hornline would be outside the top 12 - period. However, my issue was with the demand (and lack of it) in their horn book. Perhaps you can turn the sarcasm button off and discuss?

Button Off. In your last two post you've moved this corps out of the top 7, then top, 5, and now top 12. The only criteria you have used to assess the horn line is "not enough notes or power," while giving credit to two groups that have done a good job of maximizing their power without losing control (your opinion). I have already pointed out that there are many things to consider musically other than note quantity and volume, not to mention the other physical demands on the performers. You agreed that "the tuning, tonal quality and balance within the Cavies brass is top notch," then instantly reverted to a volume and note quantity argument. Your mind is made up about what constitutes demand, and you probably won't change it.

However, for the sake of discussion I will share my opinions with you.

I think 32nd note slured runs in the mello's are pretty and impressive. However, Holding a 32 count chord on the 5th partial of that mello in tune is more demanding. Playing a power chord as loud as you can without losing control (totally a matter of personal taste btw) is pretty and impressive. Achieving balanced crescendo's and decrescendo's with clean releases while spread between the 10's is more demanding.

Dicsuss?

Edited by CavAlum

Button Off. In your last two post you've moved this corps out of the top 7, then top, 5, and now top 12. The only criteria you have used to assess the horn line is "not enough notes or power," while giving credit to two groups that have done a good job of maximizing their power without losing control (your opinion). I have already pointed out that there are many things to consider musically other than note quantity and volume, not to mention the other physical demands on the performers. You agreed that "the tuning, tonal quality and balance within the Cavies brass is top notch," then instantly reverted to a volume and note quantity argument. Your mind is made up about what constitutes demand, and you probably won't change it.

However, for the sake of discussion I will share my opinions with you.

I think 32nd note slured runs in the mello's are pretty and impressive. However, Holding a 32 count chord on the 5th partial of that mello in tune is more demanding. Playing a power chord as loud as you can without losing control (totally a matter of personal taste btw) is pretty and impressive. Achieving balanced crescendo's and decrescendo's with clean releases while spread between the 10's is more demanding.

Dicsuss?

You know, I once heard that Samuel Barber was told that he needed to re-write adagio for strings because it didn't have enough demand.

:thumbup:

Congrats to the Cavaliers. Before those of us who root for the green team get too excited, the Blue Devils lost twice just before finals last year (beaten by the Cadets at Stanford and Clovis). They will respond to this change. It will be another very interesting series of shows in Bloomington. Troopers in Semis for the first time in a very long while, I hope. The fight to get out of Semis. The battle for the mid spots, with lots of movement. The battle for the top 5 or 6 spots with PR and Crown very much in the mix with BD and the Cavs. What fun!