OPEN LETTER TO DCI

To Whom It May Concern,

First, I want to congratulate you on what has been a great year with the Fan Network. As a paid subscriber who has been a customer of the service since the beginning, I can say without a doubt that this season has been a HUGE success with your product. The live streams have been problem free, the On Demand video has been a great way for people to catch shows they missed live, the Top 12 videos have been fun to watch, and the corps-added spotlight videos have been icing on the already delicious cake! I hope that financially the product has been successful for you as it has been technically for us consumers.

I feel, however, that there is one more money-making possibility that you may be overlooking that would help push you guys over the edge:

STREAMING CHAMPIONSHIP FINALS!

You obviously have the capability, as you will have the live stream running from Semifinals, so that issue is resolved.

The issue I assume is holding this back is your concerned about losing money if you stream finals.

I honestly don't think that is a huge concern because:

1. CHARGE A SEPARATE ONE TIME FEE FOR FINALS STREAMS! As a subscriber, I would be a little bummed about having to pay extra for finals, but you know what: I would do it anyway. If you charge $55 (maybe with a small discount for subscribers), which is roughly the cost of the mid-line tickets, you could make a lot more "ticket" money off of those of us who will be no where near Indy. At this time, everyone going to finals has already made plans, and streaming finals would only GAIN money for DCI. I would gladly pay the ticket price of DCI Finals to be able to see the live stream at home.

2. You can even make it high-cam only: that would not only entice more people to subscribe (a chance to see some of these great shows high camera), but it would also entice people to buy the DVD's as it would be the only way to see the multi-cam mix. You would still have production time to mix the angles you want for DVD's and just show us one angle.

3. DON'T KEEP FINALS ON-DEMAND! As much as it would upset me slightly as a subscriber, I would understand. And given the choice of either A) streaming finals live w/out On Demand later on or B) not streaming finals at all, I think everyone would choose A). Plus, the stream would be like a 'sneak peak' of the DVD's and would possibly entice fans to order DVD's in the heat of the moment (especially with a 'buy DCI 2008 Championship DVD' adds in between all of the corps)

4. a lot of us are not going to finals anyway. I personally live in Southern California, and can't afford to fly out to Indy with my family this year. We are planning on flying out sometime in the next couple of years, but this year couldn't happen: there is no possibility of us seeing Finals. However, you are missing out on the opportunity to make money off of me! Offer live streaming of Finals, charge a moderate 'ticket price,' and get my money anyway!

5. while the streams are good, they are still fairly low quality. People who would buy the DVD's are not going to let the low quality streams deter them. Your DVD's are great quality, and any illegal rip of the low quality streams wouldn't hack it for the average DVD buying fan.

I understand that you guys are hesitant to let go of the live streams, as the DVD's are one of your biggest money-makers of the year. But I feel that, conversely, you can be making substantially more money: figure 1500 subscribers x $55 = over $82,000. Those numbers, IMO, could be a little bit conservative! In this time of financial woes with everyone, this could be a no-brainer money making venture for DCI.

I look forward to a reply; I know how busy you guys are the next 7 days and understand if you don't reply immediately. Good luck in Bloomington this coming week!

Edited by perc2100

I understand that you guys are hesitant to let go of the live streams, as the DVD's are one of your biggest money-makers of the year. But I feel that, conversely, you can be making substantially more money: figure 1500 subscribers x $55 = over $82,000. Those numbers, IMO, could be a little bit conservative! In this time of financial woes with everyone, this could be a no-brainer money making venture for DCI.

I look forward to a reply; I know how busy you guys are the next 7 days and understand if you don't reply immediately. Good luck in Bloomington this coming week!

Nice idea!!! :tongue:

5. while the streams are good, they are still fairly low quality. People who would buy the DVD's are not going to let the low quality streams deter them. Your DVD's are great quality, and any illegal rip of the low quality streams wouldn't hack it for the average DVD buying fan.

I really wish this point could get across...youtube/google video/etc won't deter someone who wants the real deal if they intended to buy it

But a side note, THANK YOU DCI FOR IMPROVING THE FAN NETWORK TENFOLD THIS SEASON

I second this motion...although I wonder whether ESPN may have tied DCI's hands on this (since the cancellation of the Final contract..)

Oh please - I wish they would just do away with the ESPN broadcast! All you see is a smidgen of the shows with no continuaty at all. I don't really think that broadcast is helping the activity at all.

I do like this idea of streaming Finals though. I would pay the price of a ticket for it. I won't be able to go to Indy much after this year and would love to watch them live. It would remind me of the days, way back when, we could watch them live on PBS.

Edited by elliotdo

I think a better solution would be a PPV TV at home or another Fathom Events Movie Theatre live production. Finals will still get 20-25K in the stands...this way more people will get to see the drama in action. Maybe even dunp some money into a 720p or 1080i broadcast.

I would definitely order the finals webcast if they actually decided to stream it. Even though I'm going to the cinecast of quarterfinals, I'd still like to see the final performances and results right when they're announced.

A couple of responses based on what some of you have said:

A) I don't think a pay-per-view TV things would work out. I have a feeling the logistics would be too difficult. With the webcast, they are using resources that are already at work through out the week.

B) The theater is out because of 1) money for DCI to rent out the theaters and 2) NO theater would give up an auditorium on a Saturday night to DCI.

C) As far as I know, there is no plan for any television broadcast this year. The ESPN thing is dead, and the PBS thing was already decided on as not a viable option, I believe.

D), and this is huge:

IF YOU FEEL THE SAME AS I DO (about DCI streaming Finals live for roughly $55 bucks) CONTACT DCI!! I sent this letter to DCI, and the more people that e-mail, the more proof there would be that this is a viable money making plan for DCI.