Blue Devils

When you have "kids" aging out of a cadet corps, then the mission isn't really on move ups( in that organization ). I have no problem with them in their designation, but I do have a problem with them NOT having the availability to move into the world class quarters. Reward these ageouts with a taste of the world. My problem isn't with them, its with the rules. And tubawarrior, I honestly believe after having seen those bottom 5 corps in world several times, that BDB could compete and maybe place as high as 15th, just my opinion. It was an awesome show, except I never heard the 50/50 drawing and may have missed out on the chance to give you guys my winnings. Either way, beautiful stadium, nice night and some really good drum corps. Too bad alot of elitists won't even listen to an open corps. They have no clue what they are missing.

But how many of those age-outs care about World Class? Or rather, how many came into BDB because they wanted to move up to the A corps then decided to stick around?

Open Class needs love, too, kids... and there's nothing wrong with an organization having a feeder/prep corps. Let BD do what they do.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But how many of those age-outs care about World Class? Or rather, how many came into BDB because they wanted to move up to the A corps then decided to stick around?

Open Class needs love, too, kids... and there's nothing wrong with an organization having a feeder/prep corps. Let BD do what they do.

Also, not everyone has the luxury of being able to spend their entire summer, 24/7, doing drum corps. Cadet corps (and other locally-based open class corps for that matter) allow kids to participate in drum corps and do other things with their summer as well.

The thing however isn't with Magic and the like but the cadet corps. I don't think we'll be seeing a cadet corp in World anytime soon unless they decide to break off because of what they're designed to do and not to mention their allegiance to the parent organization.

That is silly IMO. I don't think anyone in the BD organization would feel like BDB was competing with, in conflict with, or operating outside their charter if they were allowed to compete at the highest level this year because they are that good. Certainly nobody felt like the SCV Cadets were cometing with the A corps in 2000 when they earned a spot in Semis. This kind of thing used to be a regular occurence. I think it is a shame that they changed the rules/format.

I too hope they do well. All other things aside, I just wish they could move into quarters for world.

Its pretty unfair to do to the Div 1 corps, getting bumped out of semis means Remo and Vic firth give you less money, as well as other endorsers.

So its not surprising that the Div 1 corps,

Voted that you have to actually be a Div 1 corps,

to compete in Div 1 quarters/semis/finals...

(I use div 1/2/3 because that was name of the divisions when this rule was passed, at the end of the 2002 season)

That is silly IMO. I don't think anyone in the BD organization would feel like BDB was competing with, in conflict with, or operating outside their charter if they were allowed to compete at the highest level this year because they are that good. Certainly nobody felt like the SCV Cadets were cometing with the A corps in 2000 when they earned a spot in Semis. This kind of thing used to be a regular occurence. I think it is a shame that they changed the rules/format.

It's not as silly as you might think.

I'm saying under the current format I can't see it happening, under the old rules yes but with how the current rules are I wouldn't imagine seeing the same organization field both of it's corps in the same class. The thing is, you cite something that is not relevant anymore under the current rules. It would be outside of their character as a feeder corp so to speak just as it would be out of character for the Iowa cubs to compete with the Cubs in professional baseball.

Answer me this then, if they are so good (and yes they are good obviously) then why does the Blue Devil organization not have them compete at World Class then? Your answer will be the reasoning behind their continued stay in open class...my guess it will have something to do with the character and purpose of BDB.

my guess it will have something to do with the character and purpose of BDB.

Thats exactly right. BDB isn't meant to be a touring, ultra competitive corps. They do what they do and this year they are very good, but i would be suprised to see B corps competing in world class ever... thats not really what the corps is about.

Answer me this then, if they are so good (and yes they are good obviously) then why does the Blue Devil organization not have them compete at World Class then? Your answer will be the reasoning behind their continued stay in open class...my guess it will have something to do with the character and purpose of BDB.

Indeed...ANY feeder corps is designed as a training ground for those wishing ot move to the A corps. You can see it in BDB as well as SCVC....granted, it's more difficult now than it was years ago....I think there was a snare from the 07 line who only made BDA on his 4th try???

BDB is very good.....but people are forgetting that they are scoring in the 90s on OPEN class sheets....on World class they'dbe down in the 80s...somewherte between 10 and 15 point down from their Open scores.

So if they DID compete in quarters, they might make semis.....but they'd be completing against World class corps....they may not make it out of quarters.

It's not as silly as you might think.

I'm saying under the current format I can't see it happening, under the old rules yes but with how the current rules are I wouldn't imagine seeing the same organization field both of it's corps in the same class. The thing is, you cite something that is not relevant anymore under the current rules. It would be outside of their character as a feeder corp so to speak just as it would be out of character for the Iowa cubs to compete with the Cubs in professional baseball.

My reasoning is not constrained to the current rules. My basic premise is that the move to the current rules and format should have never been made and that the format of the 90s and first part of 2000s that allowed an Open (A at the time) class corps compete in quarters and semis (if they were good enough) was superior to what is in place today.

My reasoning is not constrained to the current rules. My basic premise is that the move to the current rules and format should have never been made and that the format of the 90s and first part of 2000s that allowed an Open (A at the time) class corps compete in quarters and semis (if they were good enough) was superior to what is in place today.

Well unfortunately :bla: and I say that because while we are in the present your thoughts are in the past. Maybe it was better before and maybe it was worse, whatever but I'll tell you this too for everyone who wants to beef up world class with these top tier open class corps it is at the expense of open thus depleting open class and eventually you'll be left with only world class over time.

Edited by Illiniphanatic