THREES!

charliebucket45

Ok I'm talking about threes. like. triple stroke rolls. I don't know how to get better at them, but I really would like to! My teacher can do them so fast and so easily! I wana be able to do it like that.

any suggestions on how to get better at THREES????

practice :thumbup:

its not gonna happen over night. just practice em everyday, max out your tempo til its dirty, back it up 15 clicks and practice there. i'd bet you'll see your max increases in just a couple weeks.

lil different approach, (anyone with me on this..?) practice singlehand 4s and 5s. Its like running 10 miles. after you do that for awhile, 7 miles is easy. Or maybe that analogy was completely moronic. :thumbup:

Edited by 08Hawkeye

FINGERS! Practice your triple beat exersises and focus on wrist and fingers. Also, isolate slowly. Try triple beats with just wrist, then use just fingers. Get stronger and play with quality.

Also, convert some singles exercises to 3s exercises. Get those second and third beats UP and play with quality.

Flam taps. Threes are just flam taps with the notes compacted a bit more. Most people seem to have less trouble learning flam taps and a mental barrier to getting threes up to speed.

However once they get the tiny time shift from flam taps to threes there's no looking back.

Regards,

John

Flam taps. Threes are just flam taps with the notes compacted a bit more. Most people seem to have less trouble learning flam taps and a mental barrier to getting threes up to speed.

However once they get the tiny time shift from flam taps to threes there's no looking back.

Regards,

John

ehh... I'd ..reverse.. your entire logic there. mmm yeah, everything you said --opposite.

3s are not flam taps.. flam taps are 3s. and dont say "but i said 'with the notes compacted a bit more' ". Thats like saying a tree is just paper, but a bit more woody. Theyre totally different.

dont practice flam taps to get 3s up to speed... how can you measure sound quality? you break the flam taps apart and practice THREES.. - try some short short long passage.. rlrlrl rrrlll rlrlrl rrrlll | rlrlrl rlrlrl rrrlll rrrlll. once you have good quality then try some flamtaps, inverts, pataflaflas, whatev- there are tons of three stoke based rudiments. have fun.

Get those second and third beats UP and play with quality.

I second that - so many flam passages are ruined b/c the taps after the flam are lost or not stroked. Its like "Hey, alright.. OOhhhh dangit.."

Edited by 08Hawkeye

ehh... I'd ..reverse.. your entire logic there. mmm yeah, everything you said --opposite.

3s are not flam taps.. flam taps are 3s. and dont say "but i said 'with the notes compacted a bit more' ". Thats like saying a tree is just paper, but a bit more woody. Theyre totally different.

dont practice flam taps to get 3s up to speed... how can you measure sound quality? you break the flam taps apart and practice THREES.. - try some short short long passage.. rlrlrl rrrlll rlrlrl rrrlll | rlrlrl rlrlrl rrrlll rrrlll. once you have good quality then try some flamtaps, inverts, pataflaflas, whatev- there are tons of three stoke based rudiments. have fun.

I second that - so many flam passages are ruined b/c the taps after the flam are lost or not stroked. Its like "Hey, alright.. OOhhhh dangit.."

Gezz, I guess Tom Float was wrong making up a whole exersize that switched the two back and forth because they had nothing to do with each other.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

Gezz, I guess Tom Float was wrong making up a whole exersize that switched the two back and forth because they had nothing to do with each other.

Regards,

John

Geeze, I guess Tom Float didn't teach some of the best drumlines DCI has ever met. The kid is askin how to bring his 3s up to speed, not how to win a percussion title.

Hey, I wanna get better at basketball. Oh, just go to the Laker's training camp? k great thanks.

Take the stick out of your hand.

try it with your hands using only wrist turn on a table or something.

A stick is just the extension of your hand, so if you cant do it without sticks, you cant do it with.

Once you have solid, slow tempo, discernable tripple strokes, try it with the stick at the same tempo.

should work well for you.

Tony

Geeze, I guess Tom Float didn't teach some of the best drumlines DCI has ever met. The kid is askin how to bring his 3s up to speed, not how to win a percussion title.

Hey, I wanna get better at basketball. Oh, just go to the Laker's training camp? k great thanks.

And that's how us dumb drummers got to be champions by not wasting time on things that don't produce results fast.

I merely offered a method that actually works - quick. But, you know better.

Regards,

John

Edited by sarnia sam

There's more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. I would say that you take all of the suggestions and find the one that works best for you. You say your teacher plays them well, he's your closest source. Practice, practice, practice, not only with your hands but with your mind as well.

Good luck