PR's herald trumpets

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a fanfare trumpet once...you get used to it as far as balance is concerned. Obviously you don't go flicking them around like a regular drum corps horn for a horns up, but as far as playing them precisely, those horns Regiment has borrowed are probably very manageable. They'll get it under control quickly, I think.

The worst part about them is the horns up. You learn how to work with them after whacking yourself in the mouth a couple times due to the longer lead pipe.

Oh SURE you could.....but then you'd have a Dizzy Gillespie model!

Good one. :tongue:

I believe that Regiment's 98 use of them was Bb models that received special dispensation from DCI at the time. At least, that's what I recall hearing.

Negative. They were in G. I played one after a rehearsal day for a while. It was definitely weird having your sound come from 3 feet in front of you.

That intro's GOT to be pristine! This is a show for the ages. They've gotta sleep with those army horns till they know what they can and can't do with them.

BTW, did anybody see the Army herald trumpets on PBS during the Washington DC Independence Day celebration? THey absolutely NAILED the Olympic Fanfare and Theme. It was beyond perfect.

Edited by Phansouth

I saw the Allentown video on FN and the pic on DCI. So these are used at the beginning of the show? When do they switch to their regular instruments? (Since they march right into the form). ???

Yup, at the beginning. They have their regular ones with them. They hand the heralds to guard members who take them to the sideline.

One thing I did notice about them: I guess they don't make silver ones. It was a little weird seeing brass horns out there in the midst of all the silver ones.

Edited by oneanddone06

2.jpg

Ours were silver (USMMA). Custom-made matched set, different keys corresponding to concert band instruments. I don't know whether brass ones are more or less common. They were pretty awesome to play...I do remember that. You get used to the peculiarities of playing it and then it's pretty cool. At any rate, I'm looking forward to hearing Regiment's fanfares and hope they rock the house.

My guess is the pain in the butt factor....Hollywood Knights used them in 83, to they DID already exist...I think King made them.

But all they are is a trumpet that's not coiled so tightly...the length of tubing is unchanged....it would HAVE to be and remain in Bb

Now a herald tuba...THAT would be impressive.....unbalanced as all Hell, but impressive! :thumbup:

You mean like this? :worthy:

jinyuan_week1_vD.jpg