Sickness

me: "dude, i'm getting on a bus in like an hour, do you have anything faster than that?"

Very funny, I'm sorry it was true, but totally made me laugh out loud! :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was the "Great Sky Ryders Measles Incident of 1983", duhduhduhhhhhhhhhh (trying to make it sound much worse than it was :thumbup:).

In '83, Sky Ryders came out west and apparently had someone with measles. Any corps who toured with them had to get a measles vaccination. That was fun!

Bridgemen - 1984... during the Civil War piece where the whole corps ended up "dead" we started losing brass players much earlier than expected. I had to run out on the field and carry some small number of players off the field - couldn't even worry if that was a penalty they were passing out all over the place. Took days to get a healthy corps back on the field. We never learned whether it was food related, although we had the entire food truck professionally cleaned in Madison, or whether it was a bug, but man it was killer - I think we had two weeks left that night, as we moved south out of Madison, into Louisville, Tennessee, and on to Atlanta. Not the best memories.

Spirit circa 1990 or so? I remember them getting off the busses in Columbus puking.

Good call on the Blue Grass Brass sickness. I have friends that marched there and tell some pretty crazy stories from that weekend.

MIKE

Anyone who was in the Sunrisers in 1975 will remember this story - there was a party at Fred Sasso's house, where all the best parties happened - a girl (woman) from South Jersey who shall remain nameless lest I hear from her lawyer (divorce lawyer I might add) made a pot of sausages to make sandwiches out of. The party went very well.

The next day the corps practiced at Floyd Bennett Naval Air STation in Brooklyn, NY. Wonderful facility as far as privacy goes, but primitive - an essentially abandoned WWII air-field with limited facilities (and no toiletries).

The entire corps except for one guy was overcome with the WORST Montezuma's Revenge in the history of the Universe. The only guy who was spared was a sop player from Massachusetts who had just returned from two hitches as an Airborne Ranger in Viet Nam, where he was injured twice, won two (or three) bronze stars and a silver star - pretty much all the decorations you can win without having your widow accept them. He could eat anything without a reaction - live animals, the stuffing of bus seats - the food at the Skyliner's Legion Post, anything!!!

There was the "Great Sky Ryders Measles Incident of 1983", duhduhduhhhhhhhhhh (trying to make it sound much worse than it was :thumbup:).

In '83, Sky Ryders came out west and apparently had someone with measles. Any corps who toured with them had to get a measles vaccination. That was fun!

Yeah.....

Got my Sky Ryders shot in Cleburne, TX. Shared housing with the late, great Argonne Rebels at that show.

1987 Florida Wave - about 25-30 of us (including myself) got chicken pox during the summer. Boy, did that suck.... thanks again Nancy!

didn't Regiment have something like that a few years back?

I remember the same story. Wasn't it one of the years when DCI was in Madison - 1999 perhaps??

In 1978, the Kilties got some kind of bug while on their first tour, which took them to the deep South. They pulled into Whitewater for DCI Midwest as one sick bunch of kids. During prelims, I recall a good number of kids going down and other kids swaying back and forth trying to maintain their balance during their concert. Somehow, they managed to make it into finals that evening.

1989 - Spirit in Columbus, Ohio!

That was my FIRST opportunity to host a drum corps, and I was very excited. The buses showed up five hours late and the first bunch of kids got off and heaved up their guts in our parking lot.

Their scheduled ten hour stay turned into three days. My band room looked like an infirmary. Those poor kids couldn't even sit up, let alone actually do anything. Those that could handle it did a standstill at the show.

Seeing how the staff and administration of the corps handled things, though, was an eye opening experience for me. They made sure the sick ones were taken care of and went about their business with those who could rehearse. Everyone was there for each other. It was a truly beautiful thing.

I remember watching them leave and thinking "So this is what it's like hosting a drum corps." That was 1989, and I've been hosting every year since. And to this day Spirit still holds a special place in my heart!