Comparison of BD and PR

TA67

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been thinking bout this for awhile. and whenever i make an arguement to myself, and think of putting it on here it would be shot down faster than [enter punchline here]. I WANT to say bd doesnt SEEM to play with dynamics, but thats a rookie statement if I've ever heard one. I don't think its unfair, however, to say phantom plays much more dynamically then the devs. I think phantoms writing mixes much better between the battery voices and the brass voices, and seems to flow musically a little better.

This is NOT to cut down bd's drumlne, good god if i could have those chops, I'd probably play the same way. I'm finding it a little hard to articulate a really "true" and robust definition of "musical", all I know is when I think BD drumline my brain automatically thinks harsher sounds, like taking a chainsaw to a steak, vs phantoms nice fillet knife.

I'd be really curious to hear a scott johnson book played by a paul rennick line, or vice versa.

Scott Johnson doesn't write the book for BD. Sure, he may throw some greatness in there at times but he isn't the percussion arranger for BD. I believe Dave Glyde is and has been for quite some time.

As for the comparison between the two, I enjoy both styles equally because you know what to expect from each line and they both are usually smokin'. As for the overall 'sound', I prefer PR's tuning. Nicer balance between the voices. However, I think SCV has the best sounding drumline around. Great tuning and technique.

David Gibbs Executive Director

Pete Emmons A Corps Manager/Tour Director

Scott Chandler Program Coordinator - Choreographer

David Glyde Music Coordinator/Arranger

Wayne Downey Brass Arranger/Brass Supervisor

Scott Johnson Percussion Arranger /Caption Head

Jay Murphy Visual Designer

Jim Wunderlich Front Field Arranger - Pit Instructor