2008 DVDs/CDs?

I just went to the DCI store to pre-order the 2008 DVDs/CDs and found that

they are not being offered. :worthy:

There is no explanation why they aren't there, but I'm assuming that if they aren't

offering them by now, they won't be offering them at all. I suppose all that

will be available will be the downloads. Anyone know for sure?

I guess this saves DCI money, but I would really hate not to have the physical DVDs and CDs.

Now, I might be able to forgive them, if they were to offer uncompressed video

for the legacy collection and make high cams of all of the shows available. Oh - and

while we're at it, make more than just the top 12 for all the years available too. And,

and..... (am I asking too much?)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The season's almost done, certainly they should be offering at least the CDs by now. If DCI is no longer selling hard copies of their products, I'm going to be awfully disappointed. I'm a collector, I love adding new items to my shelves.

. . .well, I tend to think that at the very least the DVD's will be available. I don't think DCI is quite confident enough with the VPD format to stop making discs just yet.

I'm sure the announcement for both is right around the corner. Perhaps Mr. Boo can offer more (heh, no DVD's and CD's would mean Mike was out of a job writing liner notes) . . . :worthy:

I struggle to believe that they won't do the DVD's. Until they have 15,000 (not 1,500) or more people subscribing to Fan Network, I don't think they can depend on people downloading the shows onto a computer. Too many people still don't have enough experience in burning a quality copy onto a DVD from their computer to warrant limiting it to just the downloadable version.

In yesterday's DCI Fieldpass podcast, Dan Potter says that the grand prize for winning this week's Time Capsule Challenge is the complete 2008 DCI Media package. It includes all of the Open Class and World Class DVDs and World Class CDs, so not to worry, they are being produced. :worthy:

The season's almost done, certainly they should be offering at least the CDs by now. If DCI is no longer selling hard copies of their products, I'm going to be awfully disappointed. I'm a collector, I love adding new items to my shelves.

Shelves are sooooooo 2003.

You should have a thumbdrive lol...

Just kidding.

If you're going to Bloomington, you can ask about it at the DCI booth. Usually, they take preorders there with a promise to ship as soon as the CDs or DVDs are ready.

I personally think DCI will be getting out of the CD business soon, and I thought it was coming this year, mainly because, without a formal announcement, last fall DCI quietly dropped CDs from the list of premiums being given for the 2008 season to upper level members of Friends of DCI, to whom they'd long given them out for free before. This suggested to me that they weren't going to be making them anymore. But it may just have been a wait-and-see decision, not wanting to be committed, or an inadvertent omission, or a plan to save money, and maybe they are now planning to sell CDs for 2008.

But I think with the success of the download model that it's likely that DCI will be dropping CDs soon and only selling the audio via Internet download. George Hopkins said in his blog, I think about two years ago, that both the Cadets and DCI had seen steady deterioration in CD sales in recent years. Many young people in particular seem to prefer to download audio than buy CDs, so that's where the future is.

The videos... I doubt they're ready to sell by download only yet. It would take a long time to download the top 12 even with broadband, especially with the multiple sound and video tracks. I think the DVD sales are still more successful, more of a money-maker for them than CDs these days, and I think they'll keep doing that as long as it remains profitable.

Edited by Peel Paint