Just curious about what key horn you've played in drum corps.

My horny experience in drum corps only.  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Answer based on real experience in drum corps only.

• I have only played on Bb, etc instruments in drum corps
    • I have only played on G bugle in drum corps.
    • I have played both G bugle and Bb, etc. instruments in drum corps.

G only...the first three years on piston/rotor and the last three on two valve. (man, I'm old!)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually to be correct:

G / D / F ( first notes were without the rotor so it was in G, then whith the rotor depressed / enguaged it was in D, then on the new horns, F

The first drum corps bugle I played on was a G/D horn

Then we switched to G/F horns.

Why am I the only one to make mention of this, am I THAT much of a picker of nits ?

( or am I just wrong and a bigger idiot then I thought I was ? )

G only. 1st 4 seasons, 2-valve, last season 3-valve. I started with a DEG Dynasty II mello bugle, 3 seasons; moved to a King 1150 mello bugle, 1 season; then aged out with a Kanstul 3-valve alto bugle, 1 season.

Actually to be correct:

G / D / F ( first notes were without the rotor so it was in G, then whith the rotor depressed / enguaged it was in D, then on the new horns, F

The first drum corps bugle I played on was a G/D horn

Then we switched to G/F horns.

Why am I the only one to make mention of this, am I THAT much of a picker of nits ?

( or am I just wrong and a bigger idiot then I thought I was ? )

Mike,

I acquired a Whaley-Royce piston-rotor mello a few years back. I really need to learn how to play that sucker at some point. I'd love to hear what a 10-man line of those things sound like!

Mike,

I acquired a Whaley-Royce piston-rotor mello a few years back. I really need to learn how to play that sucker at some point. I'd love to hear what a 10-man line of those things sound like!

To sum it up......ear piercing

Have fun with it but watch out for neighbors !

One of the reasons I went to Pioneer was because of the Gs. Shenandoah Sound rocks the 2 valve Gs!! So two years of G for me!!!

I started on valve/slide G/D, then G/F valve/rotor, then spent a bunch of years on G 2 valve. I have played 3 valve Bb since 2005.

I started on G bugle French Horn, Went to G bugle mellophone in my drum corps career. I played Bb French horn in marching band and mellophone though. I liked playing G bugle better for some reason, and I own and still play a G bugle mellophone. :smile:

I played on the Sacbut first and then on the Db bugle. Wait a minute, those horns were in G??? Wow that explains a lot. :smile:

Two years in G for me, with a little two valve playing, but mostly three valve in both. I had a Marauders horn my first year and then we bought spiffy new Kanstul large shank sopranos for '98. Loved that horn!! Except for Abs, ouch that sucked on those horns.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

G only for me. Two years on piston-rotor, 4 years on two valves. They made those things with 3 valves? Dang, maybe I would have sounded better had they given me another valve.