Blue Devils take Quarterfinals!

It didn't matter in 02, Cavis were going to win anyways.

that's not the point though, the point is they didn't exemplify what a 20 is. i know someone will come on here and say its the spreads that matter but actually its a numbers management problem in terms of being able to identify what a 19.0 looks like or an 18 or a 17... if judges started of corps #21 or 17 or 12 in the right position then their spreads wouldnt push them to give people 20's (unless of course they earn them)

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't matter in 02, Cavis were going to win anyways.

This excuses sloppy judging?

Let's see what the corps bring us tomorrow.

I call BS on tonights judging. How can the devils be scored that high on visual with those sloppy drills and poor marching?? Their guard is incredible but their drill is not demanding compared to the other top 4. I failed to see more than 2 phrases in their book where they marched more than 8 to 5. Anyone can march 180bpm 8 to 5. Phantom plays with more clarity while RUNNING and playing louder with harder licks. Im totally shocked by the scores in all the captions.

You must mean the running at 6 to 5. Phantom takes just as small as steps as Devils do!

I love Phantom as much as everyone else, and don't like BD....but even still I can't deny that BD has been marching amazingly since mid-July and I am not surprised by their scores. They do move on the field but unfortunately they don't jazz run at 6 to 5 just to jazz run. I hate the running but to me that's like narration and cadets, I am capable and willing to look past it at the amazing performance.

Don't need to put on the flame-retardant suit because it's been said. Sorry, but BD's visual score is complete bull. I will agree that the colorguard was phenomenal but man, I did spot some noticeable dirt in the horn drill. There's no way they should have gotten perfect 10s across vis. performance. But whatever, still got 2 nights left. Congrats to the devils anyway.

Did you see the show live or in theaters?

If in theaters, you can't evaluate it properly, and shouldn't bother.

If you were there live, you got it all wrong.

actually that's quite wrong, seeing things on video can give you a better grasp on things....

you're trying to tell me someone who is 150-200 feet away from a corps can make the claim of feet cleanliness vs someone who had the feet magnified and zoomed to look as though they were 10 feet away?

that's not the point though, the point is they didn't exemplify what a 20 is. i know someone will come on here and say its the spreads that matter but actually its a numbers management problem in terms of being able to identify what a 19.0 looks like or an 18 or a 17... if judges started of corps #21 or 17 or 12 in the right position then their spreads wouldnt push them to give people 20's (unless of course they earn them)

That is why we have one judge adjudicate one caption.

actually that's quite wrong, seeing things on video can give you a better grasp on things....

you're trying to tell me someone who is 150-200 feet away from a corps can make the claim of feet cleanliness vs someone who had the feet magnified and zoomed to look as though they were 10 feet away?

Dear God.

Have you ever seen a fat chicks myspace picture that makes her look really skinny?

Perspective is the problem, works the same way for drum corps videos.

This is why the judges weren't sitting next to you in the theater.

You need to be at the stadium!

Go figure it out.

Edited by mohanico

Don't need to put on the flame-retardant suit because it's been said. Sorry, but BD's visual score is complete bull. I will agree that the colorguard was phenomenal but man, I did spot some noticeable dirt in the horn drill. There's no way they should have gotten perfect 10s across vis. performance. But whatever, still got 2 nights left. Congrats to the devils anyway.

Don't be surprised if they get 11's!

:smile::smile:

Dear God.

Have you ever seen a fat chicks myspace picture that makes her look really skinny?

Perspective is the problem, works the same way for drum corps videos.

This is why the judges weren't sitting next to you in the theater.

You need to be at the stadium!

Go figure it out.

last time i checked, don't the judges train from videos?

Wow, in reading this thread, i would think that everyone hates the Blue Devils! I was at the show, and frankly agree with the judging. Phantom had the best theatrical performance, Crown had an amazing brass line, Cavies were very strong in spite of the distraction of the narration. IMO, Phantom's show featured the guard so much that it was hard to concentrate on the music and marching. It was my favorite show from an entertainment perspective, but BD's show was cleaner. I would like to see BD do better with their horn line, but that is where Crown was really good.

This judging is consistent with what I have seen at other shows, and BD has only lost 1 time this year. So, I bet that they have something going for them and it is not unfair or corrupt judging... I thought that the top 3 corps all are excellent.