Why do drum corps shows have to lack subtlety to be enjoyed by fans?

Could it be that the general fan, paying their hard earned dollars for a ticket, is not a music/dance major? They may not have the sophisticated background to understand and appreciate the nuance of which you speak. Maybe they just want some good old, in your face fun, and appreciate the crops that gives it to them.

Some people like the "art" some like the muscle. There's nothing wrong with either, there are just probably more non-arts educated fans in the stands than there are arts-educated fans.

Edit - can't type today

I agree with you here. Even though I marched, I'm about as much of a "dumb drummer" as you can get. I don't want to see all that "artsy" stuff. Just give me "in your face" drum corps. Although, after seeing BK on the screen last night, that looks like a really fun show to march. I think it'd be kinda cool to do some of the stuff they were doing. All I got to do was march from set to set, and change to a snare drum a couple of times. Boring!!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I meant the academic definition of "masculine" and "feminine" qualities. I think you're implying that women "talk too much" which is very sexist and rude and kind of helps prove my point :-\

Can anyone joke anymore without someone getting offended? I hate political correctness......

:thumbup::lol::lol::smile:

It seems like whenever a drum corps doesn't do a show that isn't doing something that beats "fans" over the head with music (ie: making everything as simplistic and straightforward as possible) then people come on this board and really gripe about them. It just seems strange to me, drum corps is so concerned about the idea of 100% overtly masculine musical/visual gestures at all times. The minute a corps does something with more feminine gesture, people here lose it. Look at the poor Blue Knights! I understand if someone doesn't like the show this year as much as the last couple (BK 05-07 is great stuff, 08 has some left to be desired), but that doesn't seem to matter because BK always gets bashed.

Also, there was that "company front" thread, someone was arguing that corps "never" just go into a company front and just play really loud and give them what they expect. However, the point of great music etc is not to give what the audience expects. There is something to be said about building to something, gesturing back down and developing back into something truly great. It just seems like drum corps fans are afraid of anything involving subtlety and anyone who happens to like thinking about things. Drum corps is a very animalistic activity, what do you guys think?

I don't know if I agree completely. Sure, I love when a corps blows my face off (with a very loud, yet beautifully toned sound), but I also enjoy subtlety. Look, I'm not a BK fan. 2000 was probably the last time I liked a BK show. I just think they're boring musically. Visually, I often like them. There is so much great classical music out there, I'm not sure whey they choose the music they do. I loved their 1992 and 1998 shows. 1999 was great too. Since then, I don't know, it feels like they are trying to cater to the judging community rather than the fans. But, to each his own. I look at corps like Star (1993), SCV and Cadets - they have imployed subtlety so well. I think 1987 Cadets is one of the best shows ever, and it was just beautiful. The subtle ending was amazing. 1993 Star was so weird IMO - so subtle, with exposure I've never seen, but it was an AMAZING show. I often think how great BK would be if they combined their great visual program (with less body movement) with some great classical music. You can play soft and subtle music, but what they are playing just isn't my cup of tea.

I do think drum corps is animalistic. It's a reflection of what our society pushes as "entertainment." Survivor ("vote them off!"), American Idol ("let's see what that jerk of a judge says today to those losers!"), film after film after film without subtlety or substance, a lack of appreciation for subtlety in music, and a very big lack of appreciation for the arts in general. It's everywhere.

I don't think BK is necessarily more subtle than others. To be honest, I think BK is hard to connect to because they can't pull off their physical identity well enough... YET. Their marching and movement style is not completely adopted and maintained well by every single person on the field, and since their physical style is a major part of their identity, it's hard to buy into what their doing when they are struggling with it to some extent themselves.

I don't say this to slam on BK members at all. They are working VERY HARD to get it all jiving just right. I appreciate very much their movement style, and I hope they keep pushing themselves to perfect it. That's the deal right there for me: in this musical/visual medium you have to perfect BOTH styles in order to sell it to the crowd.

Thank you very much for your post TerriTroop :). I have always loved the people in your corps, I NEVER say this, but the Troopers and their members truly are intelligent, class acts. If only we had more posts like this on DCP, what a utopia it would be.

It seems like whenever a drum corps doesn't do a show that isn't doing something that beats "fans" over the head with music (ie: making everything as simplistic and straightforward as possible) then people come on this board and really gripe about them. It just seems strange to me, drum corps is so concerned about the idea of 100% overtly masculine musical/visual gestures at all times. The minute a corps does something with more feminine gesture, people here lose it. Look at the poor Blue Knights! I understand if someone doesn't like the show this year as much as the last couple (BK 05-07 is great stuff, 08 has some left to be desired), but that doesn't seem to matter because BK always gets bashed.

Also, there was that "company front" thread, someone was arguing that corps "never" just go into a company front and just play really loud and give them what they expect. However, the point of great music etc is not to give what the audience expects. There is something to be said about building to something, gesturing back down and developing back into something truly great. It just seems like drum corps fans are afraid of anything involving subtlety and anyone who happens to like thinking about things. Drum corps is a very animalistic activity, what do you guys think?

From what I saw last night there was something for everyone. I saw some in your face brass and percussion. Thankfully, The Scouts and Cavaliers were no at all Feminine this year. I do like to see male guard members looking like men not some guy wearing the female uniform. :thumbup:

There were plenty of good old Drum Corps moments and Softer moment to please most everyone.

I like stuff that makes me stand up a yell "yeah baby, yeah", or that gives me goosebumps (27th, Dannyboy, 'nuff said)

I meant the academic definition of "masculine" and "feminine" qualities. I think you're implying that women "talk too much" which is very sexist and rude and kind of helps prove my point :-\

First off - I am gay. What I think the original poster was saying is that Cadets have a more feminine show because a bunch of gay guys are talking the whole time. The best was a comment in a thread about the boxing in Bluecoats show coming across as two queens having a pillow fight.

Could it be that the general fan, paying their hard earned dollars for a ticket, is not a music/dance major? They may not have the sophisticated background to understand and appreciate the nuance of which you speak. Maybe they just want some good old, in your face fun, and appreciate the corps that gives it to them.

You don't have to be an "music/dance major" to like better things than Britney Spears (this is not a dig on pop music, I love pop music). I know plenty of people with no musical training and whatnot that listen to good ol' Boulez, Steve Reich, Philip Glass and other stuff and love it. Plenty of people without formal training in dance loved Martha Graham and her company. I'm getting really tired of this argument in drum corps that shakes the hand of people who refuse to learn or care about things. The blue collar mentality in this country has been praised long enough.

I agree with you here. Even though I marched, I'm about as much of a "dumb drummer" as you can get. I don't want to see all that "artsy" stuff. Just give me "in your face" drum corps. Although, after seeing BK on the screen last night, that looks like a really fun show to march. I think it'd be kinda cool to do some of the stuff they were doing. All I got to do was march from set to set, and change to a snare drum a couple of times. Boring!!

And you're proud of being a "dumb drummer"? Boy, if anyone ever called me dumb, they'd hear some words.

Can anyone joke anymore without someone getting offended? I hate political correctness......

:thumbup::lol::lol::smile:

I'm about as politically incorrect as you can get.

Well, take it upon yourself to go educate the masses up to your level of sophistication. Until you can do that, accept the fact that you are smarter and more sophisticated than the average drum crops fan.

Good job!

:thumbup:

What's wrong with having subtleties and in your face designed into the show? Something for everyone. I think this year was a step in that direction as opposed to the past few years.

Agreed. Crown and Phantom do this better than anyone.

Glassmen have done it well this year, as well as Blue Knights & Blue Stars.

Since DCI seems to focus so much on visual, I say let's can the brass and percussion judging captions and we can clap and whistle between forms.