Video Broadcasts

I have always thought (and it struck me again last night in the theaters) that the close-up shots should be picture-in-picture boxed so that one can see the close-ups and still watch the continuity of the drill. The DVDs could still have options on what camera angle you want to watch. I just feel that I am missing things when the show the close up shots, yet, it is nice to see member and sections as well.

What do you think?

I have always thought (and it struck me again last night in the theaters) that the close-up shots should be picture-in-picture boxed so that one can see the close-ups and still watch the continuity of the drill. The DVDs could still have options on what camera angle you want to watch. I just feel that I am missing things when the show the close up shots, yet, it is nice to see member and sections as well.

What do you think?

I posted almost the exact same thing earlier this week after watching some of the old shows (91 PR for example) where they put the soloist in a picture-in-picture.

Maybe as an option, but I've seen shows that were done like this and the box in the corner was really annoying.

I remember once too, very early '80s if I remember correctly. However, the veiwing eye has adapted. Look at sporting broadcasts. You have the game. You have the scoreboard in one corner. You have scores from other games in another corner. You even have the network logo on their. Just after 9/11, they even put on an american flag. So, I think it would work better now that our eyes and brain are trained to track more than one thing on the screen.

What do you think?

Yes, I do agree. The camera woudl focus on this or that person while all sorts of great stuff was going on out of view. They even watched the Glassmen's balloons float up up and away while the action on the field was going on. :thumbup:

What do you think?

Totally agree. An option on the dvd settings menu that would allow PIP to be turned on/off and the ability to pick which camera view to see full screen and which to be inserted would be fantastic.

Totally agree. An option on the dvd settings menu that would allow PIP to be turned on/off and the ability to pick which camera view to see full screen and which to be inserted would be fantastic.

I'm an editor and I prefer straight cuts to picture in pictures. I do think they often linger too long on shots that aren't interesting, though. It's an issue with the way the show is directed. Perhaps they need some new blood?

I had the great privilege of watching the cinecast last night from start to finish in Raleigh, North Carolina last night. Overall, I was very pleased and had a great time (Although I'm going to have to purchase a new set of dentures because there are simply too many popcorn kernels caught in them)

Anyhow, let me critique a bit and then offer a suggestion. Two primary issues: one with the sound and one with the video--go figure.

Video Quality: I was a bit disappointed by the lack of saturation of the broadcast. None of the colors popped and I thought it was funny at the end when they talked about the human highlighters with the Blue Devils' color guard. They just looked like bland orange and pink. The field was more gray than it was green. They simply need to send the signal out with more saturation (This by the way is a problem with the webcasts as well).

I have a attached a small thumbnail representation of a screenshot from a previous show that I altered a bit to look like what we saw.

dcicinecast2.jpg

Audio Quality: Two simple things, a. Not loud enough, and b. Not enough bass

Here's another gripe I have. I am a huge fan of the high cam angle because I personally prefer it as I get a better idea of the general effect of each show. However, I understand that others like it when the producer shows five minutes of "character" doing his or her dramatic thing (i.e. a young lady flitting around in a purple dress or of a guy air boxing). So, I have a suggestion.

What if they kept the high cam fixed and then placed an inset picture over a dead space such as the opposite stands. I have attached what I'm visualizing below. They could use two insets in this example or just do one. That way everybody would be happy...I think.

dcicinecast.jpg

Don't get me wrong...I'm tickled pink at what DCI has done this year to bring drum corps to us via FanNetwork and through Fathom Events.

Ooops! I am so sorry. I posted a very similar post about the cinecast but had started it earlier in the day and left my screen up and just now finished it. That's when I saw this one. Moderators, should they be combined? Mine is a bit more specific about the cinecast.