Is narration dead now?

Why does it matter as it relates to creating a show? There are lots of Asians here as well. But the predominant language of the US is English, American-style English anyway.

That, IMO, is just a bogus argument abuot using narration or not. You don't like it...fine. But this is (again, IMO) really stretching to come up with an excuse to not use it.

That's not the main reason not to use it - the main reason is it sucks. This was just a side conversation.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it matter as it relates to creating a show? There are lots of Asians here as well. But the predominant language of the US is English, American-style English anyway.

That, IMO, is just a bogus argument abuot using narration or not. You don't like it...fine. But this is (again, IMO) really stretching to come up with an excuse to not use it.

So, if it's that absurdly bogus, why are you (still) commenting on it? (Hence, dragging out even farther.)

So, if it's that absurdly bogus, why are you (still) commenting on it? (Hence, dragging out even farther.)

Because MikeD is on a mission to put his finger into any and every hole in the narration dike, however small....

Because MikeD is on a mission to put his finger into any and every hole in the narration dike, however small....

Why does that description bring to mind a mental image of an animated film, with an acorn, a glacier-contained lake, and a small furry (& extinct) animal?

Why does that description bring to mind a mental image of an animated film, with an acorn, a glacier-contained lake, and a small furry (& extinct) animal?

Are you calling me a furry (& extinct) animal now?

I guess it's beter than SOME of the things I've been called here. :blink:

:blink:

And thanks to those that posted a comment about my post. I appreciate you making the effort to do that. :blink:

Yup...you are absolutely correct. I asked myself just that after I posted.

That's why usually try to ask myself, "Is this trip really necessary?" right before I hit "Add reply".

Sometimes, I spend a long time typing up a reply to something or other, and after I ask that question, I simply hit the back arrow and go about my business elsewhere. The words just disappear into the ether.

So, back to the discussion at hand: No, narration is not completely dead. Just mostly. ($1 to "The Princess Bride", and $1 to whoever brought up the relevant quote from it in this thread so many pages back.)

:blink:

And thanks to those that posted a comment about my post. I appreciate you making the effort to do that. :blink:

If you're asking about the '84 Suncoast Vietnam "Requiem" piece, your take was absolutely correct, IMO. I think we can take your post, mine above, madscout's, and a few others, and publish them together as a cogent anti-narration compilation, using that one line of argument.

OK - First, who is the narration dike? And how small is she?

Second - As a happily married man Mike should be keeping his fingers to himself. :blink: