Hostrauser's wholly unpopular QF review

Cadets '90 and Cavies '92 didn't win high brass...were their drum scores significantly high enough to give them the "brass + percussion title?"

Yes. Both corps took High Percussion, the 1992 Cavaliers by a whopping 0.6.

1992 (Brass + Percussion = Total):

19.1 + 19.8 = 38.9 Cavaliers

19.7 + 19.2 = 38.9 Star of Indiana

19.0 + 19.2 = 38.2 Cadets

1990 (Brass + Percussion = Total):

19.4 + 19.6 = 39.0 Cadets

19.6 + 19.1 = 38.7 Star of Indiana

19.0 + 19.5 = 38.5 Cavaliers

Humor me for a minute...

1989 Star of Indiana = first Top 6 appearance, coming-of-age as a major DCI power.

1990 Star of Indiana = first time as a legitimate championship contender.

1991 Star of Indiana = Championship.

2007 Carolina Crown = first Top 6 appearance, coming-of-age as a major DCI power.

2008 Carolina Crown = first time as a legitimate championship contender.

2009 Carolina Crown = ?

Probably something along these lines:

2009 Crown = Collects an unpopular title win, is booed at a few shows.

2010 Crown = Tries a "can't miss" crowd pleaser show, but is met with boos and rejection everywhere they go. Drops to 3rd on finals night.

2011 Crown= Writes the biggest, baddest "F You" show ever seen that totally redefines the activity for the next decade; corps leaves DCI the next year to tour on Broadway.

2010 Crown = Tries a "can't miss" crowd pleaser show, but is met with boos and rejection everywhere they go. Drops to 3rd on finals night.

2011 Crown= Writes the biggest, baddest "F You" show ever seen that totally redefines the activity for the next decade; corps leaves DCI the next year to tour on Broadway.

I'm all over 2011 except for the last ten words. :thumbup:

Any post that pays respect to Star 93 by calling it an "f you" show needs to be recognized. Well played, my friend.

Any post that pays respect to Star 93 by calling it an "f you" show needs to be recognized. Well played, my friend.

AGREED!!!!! :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

1298 views (you) to 610 views (me).

I suck.

Again.... :lol:

1690 to me :lol:

since we're comparing....

Yeah but you're like in charge around here ya geek!!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh alllllllllright.

:lol::doh::wow:

THERE!!! Have I sucked up enough!?!? :lol:

First off, the camera work and video quality was atrocious. DCI showed a complete inability to filter out excess light from the setting sun. The first few corps suffered from tremendous glare off the backfield stands, and members that were in the pressbox shadow on the front sideline were completely invisible. Come on DCI, you're supposed to be a professional operation, hire a film crew (or get better cameras) that can handle the sun. But that wasn't all: the video feed was poor, too. There was ghosting throughout on the high angle shots, and most of the close-up/field-level shots were fuzzy and not completely in focus.

This was mentioned in a couple of posts ... It annoyed the hell out of me as well, but I don't think there was a lot that could have been done about it.

The bleachers are aluminum, they reflect the sun pretty powerfully in the day light. The cameras that I saw when I got to the stadium looked (at least for the studio-type cameras in the stands) to be well, not new.

Video cameras just don't have the kind of exposure latitude to handle the difference between the brightness of the sun coming off of those bleechers, and the portion of the field covered by the press box (and therefore in the shadows.) Not even the best video engineers around (and I'm sure Tom Blair knows some good guys :lol:), could have compensated for that situation.

Also the "ghosting" you were talking about can be caused by having the chips in the camera overexposed to light (picture this, you've got blaring sun coming through a huge telephoto lens ... Think about a bug under a magnifying glass.)

It got better as the night progressed ... I didn't think the overall quality of the video was as good as 2006, but I'm not sure how much the viewing experience changes from theater to theater (what the range of equipment is being used by the individual chains), or how widely the quality/age of the equipment varies in the mobile studio packages that they rent each year.

This one isn't DCI's fault.

Edited by DCIHasBeen