semifinals review

Thank you for the intelligent and constructive input. Did we forget about the many 100's of kids 6 to 12 years old, seeing the shows, who are very impressionable and easily desensitized, growing up believing violence is acceptable whether real or acted. I would think we, as supporters of what used to be inspirational, would wish to nurture decency and kindness in thier formative years. And yes, we could all use a little more decency in our lives.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am amazed that there are few criticisms of the level of violence in the shows this year. Well, I for one hate to see the social decadence that has been allowed. Shame on DCI for not having the decency to set standards in this area. Remember that these are still young folks, mostly teenagers and they certainly don't need to be any more desensitized to violence as being acceptable than they already are in movies and TV. The Phantom show should not be allowed as well as part of the Cavis show. I had friends in to watch this yesterday and I was really embarrased by this. My friends now have a much lower opinion of DCI for allowing this. I totally agree with them. OK, now pile on me....!!!!!

I do have to say the violence in Phantom's show does get to be a bit much (could you imagine if the Cadets had similar violence in their show, folks would be demanding they be banned from all competition). It does however take attention away from the brass line overplaying their instruments. Man there are times their brass line overplays to the point that they completely loose all quality of sound and sound like a car horn. :thumbup:

Thank you for the intelligent and constructive input. Did we forget about the many 100's of kids 6 to 12 years old, seeing the shows, who are very impressionable and easily desensitized, growing up believing violence is acceptable whether real or acted. I would think we, as supporters of what used to be inspirational, would wish to nurture decency and kindness in thier formative years. And yes, we could all use a little more decency in our lives.

I'm 50 years old. I grew up watching westerns on TV, horror flicks, and the Vietnam War played out in the news. I was there for the first video games, and have played all the violent ones. I grew up in an inner city, and watched violence almost on a weekly basis.

I think I've been exposed to more violence than the "average" person, whatever that is.

I know we live in a violent world, but do not practice it myself. Why?? After all this exposure am I not killing people left or right, or beating them up because I'm so desensitized??

Because I've got common sense, like the most of our kids.

I've been slapped by more "decent" people (Priests and Nuns) than any cowboy, Indian or soldier, but I still know the difference between what is real and what isn't. Like most of my generation and the generations that have followed.

You can't shelter anyone, but you can teach them. If you have problems explaining to 6 to 12 year olds that the violence depicted at a drum corps show is not real, than maybe you have communication issues. Maybe you shouldn't be around children if you can't teach them right from wrong.

Oh, by the way, I've raised 4 well adjusted children, who recognize what make-believe is all about.

First, let me give you some personal context so you know where I'm coming from: I'm a music teacher (grades 3-12) at a private school that strongly advocates and expects families to minimize "screen time" of every sort for their children, particularly in ages K-3rd grade. I have adopted that policy in my own home with my child. I also grew up quite the typical American child with far too much TV, exposure to violence in the news, movies, etc. I have studied this issue extensively in order to do my job as a parent and a teacher.

While I agree to some extent with your sentiment, I think the issue is not as cut and dry. The "violence" of this show is contextualized very well. The artistry around the entire show (and every other show that has been in any way aggressive or violent) is a fantastic cushion for the violent aspect. In other words, the violence itself is somewhat alleviated by the rest of the program.

Having said that, my 4 year old would not have been shown that show. As I said in another thread, had PR been at the show I took my daughter to, I would have taken her walking and souvie shopping at that time because she, specifically, is highly sensitive to such images. Many young children won't even notice them because they are overwhelmed by the other aspects of the production. But most parents taking young kids to drum corps shows may not be well-informed, but that's not the fault of the drum corps community. Every entertainment source a parent exposes their kids to need to be vetted and thought about thoroughly.

Lastly, the most important thing parents can do is be ready to let their kids talk these images out. These images imprint strongly on the brain, especially in children under 6-7. Unlike adults, children haven't yet developed the filters in their minds to contextualize strong images and then move on. They will have to work on it for a very long time. This is fine as long as they have a parent who will listen and answer questions. An example: my daughter accidentally saw part of "Air Force One" this past spring due to my inlaws keeping the TV on without realizing it. Months later she still talks about the movie with the bad man on the plane. I let her talk, and when she's done we move on and do whatever is next. She is not desensitized by this - she just has to work on it until she can file it away properly, and it may take a while.

Edited by TerriTroop

Somebody go tell the Bridgemen to quit shooting Tony at the end of their show way back when!

But he came back to life and marched off the field in the end.

I guess zombies are offensive too?

• 2 weeks later...

Can I get the address to the bubble you live in? Spartacus was a violent story. Chances are the corps woiuld have been down graded if left to musical interpretation only.

Sex in the city has more violence.

As far as the "impression" on young kids, have you seen some of the garbage on the DISNEY channel? That's so Raven, Hanna Montanna, Suite Life of Zack & Cody, etc, yeah, these are REAL GOOD messages. Generally it's disrespectful messages/interactions throughtout the show with an "occassional" resolution at the end. Kids are exposed to 20 minutes of garbage, but we're suppose to feel good about the 5 minutes where they all "kiss & make up?" Considering the impact of The Regiments show on the relatively few number of 6-12 years olds in attendance, I think you've got bigger fish to fry!

Geez it wasn't real violence, I mean I think the Drum Major and guard girl got back up and didn't need help to get off the field. Ok, so Spartacus caused a bit o controversy for the ultra sensitive, can you imagine if they did Edipus Rex??? :smile:

Wes P

Geez it wasn't real violence, I mean I think the Drum Major and guard girl got back up and didn't need help to get off the field. Ok, so Spartacus caused a bit o controversy for the ultra sensitive, can you imagine if they did Edipus Rex??? :thumbup:

Wes P

Oedipus Rex, but I get your point, DON'T GIVE THEM ANY IDEAS! They may just drive the last warm boddied creatures from our midst! In the end, if you don't like it, LEAVE! I guess that was a bit "insensitive."

Edited by Rocketman