Cavaliers Pitch bending question

I think it's the fact they did it on the move that makes people ooh and aah... but maybe I'm wrong, Idunno.

Hmm, could be... they did have some nice drill.... music on the other hand :worthy:

I think it's the fact they did it on the move that makes people ooh and aah... but maybe I'm wrong, Idunno.

Weren't they standing still facing back-field when they did it?

Weren't they standing still facing back-field when they did it?

Nope... unless I'm crazy :worthy: ... I'm pretty sure both times they were on the move.

It also kinda fit the theme of the music.

In addition to embouchure they COULD'VE half valved it a little bit....

It also kinda fit the theme of the music.

In addition to embouchure they COULD'VE half valved it a little bit....

Yeah, I was thinking a valve-bend as well...

Nope... unless I'm crazy :worthy: ... I'm pretty sure both times they were on the move.

Maybe the first time they were. Pretty sure I remember them facing backfield and bending their bodies with the pitch the 2nd time.

Regardless... it was a pretty cool effect.

That it was done intentionally and not as a means to get the horn line in tune with itself and the players with one another makes it unusual. That it was also used as a melodic device makes it even more so. The horns were always facing away when they did it, expecting the back wall bounce would smooth the irregularities that would appear since each player would have differing levels of bending success. I think it worked very well. Surprised me at least.

Can we get an official answer from someone from the Cavies please?

Its been about 10 years since I've talked technical about these things so forgive me if I goof it up. The reason why I doubt embouchure is because they bent the tone what sounded like more than a whole step down. When I played a 2 valve contra versus a 3 valve tuba, it was much harder to do this on a tuba than on a 2 valve bugle. The drum corps instructors I had said this was due to the nature of 2 valve g-bugles, you had to actually pitch bend to reach certain notes in the base scale and you could do so pretty far without hitting the next overtone by accident. But I was never able to pitch bend a tuba with embouchure alone more than a whole step away from a note without going up to the next overtone. Since drum corps now have 3 valve and even 4 valve instruments, I would expect that the Cavies pitch bend came from slide movement.

Either way, it was impressive to me that they stayed remarkably in tune with each other during the bend. I guess if you practiced it enough though... It could be my ears where deceiving me. It might sound like a whole step or more simply because the whole corps was doing it at once. Actually, watching a video of them on Youtube now, I think it might be more like a little more than a half step.