The HasBeen Report: The Power of "Spartacus"

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heartfelt thanks to DCIHasBeen for recapping the most memorable and exciting drum corps weekend of this old fan's life - I never marched corps, but I have a background in marching arts of other genres.

This show has supplanted 2003 Phantom (Harmonic Journey) as my all-time favorite corps show. I don't know how this act could ever be matched or topped, but I'm sure somewhere down the line, some corps will find the vehicle to get them there and beyond.

In the meantime, though, I AM SPARTACUS!! :cool:

Great post - thanks - I felt exactly the same way. (And I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you - I kept walking right past you, I was told, without realizing!)

Mike

You're welcome ... As are all nice comments from all of you who've posted or IM'd me about this. Just glad I could preserve the memory and share with those who couldn't be there. Although if you weren't, you probably will never totally get the full measure of it.

As far as seeing me at the show? That's impossible, I'm afraid. I have no identifying marks of any kind. I don't stand out in any way. My entire image is crafted to leave no lasting memory with anyone I encounter. I'm a rumor, recognizable only as deja vu and dismissed just as quickly. I don't exist; I was never even born. Anonymity is my name. Silence my native tongue (well, maybe not so much ... :cool:) I'm no longer part of the System. I'm out of the System. Over it. Beyond it. I'm one of them ... I'm a DCIHasBeen.

<$1 to Rip Torn> :cool:

Edited by DCIHasBeen

Thank you for such an eloquent post. You allowed me to relive my memories of the 3 nights in Bloomington. I cried after the performance on Saturday, after the encore, and during the entire playing of Elsa's. I cried reading your post as the emotions all returned. Such a great experience! I'm glad we were a part of it.

Thanks Phantom! and Congratulations to all involved.

FANtastic post!!! Being there Saturday night was THE all-time drum corps experience in 40 years for me. After watching the show and waiting for the scores...to FEEL the crowd erupt when BD was announced in 2nd was a once in a lifetime moment. Blue Devils and Cavies have nothing to hang their heads about as their shows were fantastic BUT Phantom was not to be denied. I thought that I would never see a show that would beat out 89 PR as my all-time favorite show but I was wrong. 2008 will take 1st place in my heart now. Thanks to the OP for putting into words what most of us there felt!!!! :tongue:

I had goosebumps through your entire post. I wasn't able to make it to Pasadena last year for Finals, and I resolved I would not miss this one. I have been following drum corps since 1988 and have always loved Regiment. I was hoping beyond hope that they would pull it out this year. I attended the 2006 Finals and I really thought they had a chance. This year, in the end, in the stadium there was only Phantom Regiment and Phans. Your post was so eloquent and captured how all of us felt. The sudden roar that went up when BD was placed 2nd. Knowing I was there to witness the win was the single most satisfying drum corps experience I have ever had. Thank you HAS BEEN! and thank you Phantom Regiment!

Thanks for a great post HasBeen. I couldn't get to finals but I made it to the movies for Qtrs and you helped restore my emotions from Thursday night. I was fortunate to see PR at Allentown just a week b/4 and I was blown away. They had it all this year; talent, performance level,design and enrgy. Congrats PR

Does anyone recall if a corps came from the 4th seed to win it b/4? Thank you judges for demonstrating judging courage to get it right this year.

I've been jazzed about Phantom Regiment since I saw them at Stanford. Even knowing that Regiment ALWAYS builds on the effects and adds the bells and whistles, there was a certain coherence about the show that looked like they had the potential to take this a lot farther than might be evident on the surface.

That potential really started manifesting as they started adding to the show ... Oh, they had the musicianship from the get go. The talent was there. All the little changes, additions, costuming, props, herald trumpets, it all built on the foundation. But what really started making it happen, more than anything else in selling that show, was when they started letting loose with the magic ingredient: A complete commitment to the selling the theatrical elements of the show. Fully committing to approaching drum corps as theater. It was genius.

Every bit of play acting, from the soldiers brutal treatment of the slaves, to laying the seeds of discord between the drum majors ... It all got to the audience, quickly, and suddenly were were in it with them. Willing participants in the passion that was to come. In doing this they took theatricality in drum corps to a new level, almost creating a new type of performance art. The more over-the-top they took it, the quicker and easier it became for the audience to get involved.

As the Regiment Drum Major lay on the field in between the other corps' majors covered in his death shroud (another brilliant extension of the moment) we waited.

I saw PR's show for the first time on June 21st in Rockford, and I didn't like it. It left me dry. But, as you said, they made many little changes since then. They really sold the show. I honestly didn't like the "abusive" treatment of the "slaves" but again they were selling the show. Coming onto the field the way they did was genius. They sold it to us before the show started. Will Pitts on his "throne." The slaves in chains. The Goose stepping horns. They sold it. But, to me, the final sales job was Will Pitts lying "dead" while announcing the scores. Genius. I didn't like PR's show on June 21st, but I loved it on August 9th! I too cheered when BD was announced in second. Good Job PR.

What an incredible tribute ... thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions. A dear friend who had been at finals called me Sunday afternoon and shared the same impressions of the show and the championship that you wrote for us ... goose bumps indeed. Congratulations to everyone who was involved with the entire week ... what a trip ... and heartfelt thanks to Phantom for a show that will go down in history as one of the GREAT ONES!

What an incredible tribute ... thank you for sharing your thoughts and impressions. A dear friend who had been at finals called me Sunday afternoon and shared the same impressions of the show and the championship that you wrote for us ... goose bumps indeed. Congratulations to everyone who was involved with the entire week ... what a trip ... and heartfelt thanks to Phantom for a show that will go down in history as one of the GREAT ONES!

I agree...an awesome post. And your friend is quite perceptive.