When they get Home...

I loved this thread last year, really interesting stuff to read:

What was life like for YOU when you got home?

What difficulties did you face trying to adjust to life back home?

Edited by dsheets

I honestly had a hard time sleeping in a bed in a totally quiet house. But that lasted maybe 3-4 days.

The first few days were catchup days - laundry, sleep, more laundry, more sleep, then hurry up to get ready for school.

Band camp was painful. No matter how many times I ran to sets, no matter how much I tried to play with intensity and emotion, my classmates just didn't get into it as much. I wasn't part of the greatest band program, so that had something to do with it, too. And the summer before my senior year my band director threatened to take away my position as drum captain if I marched corps - I marched corps, and I came back still drum captain.

Coming home after my first year of Troopers I really didn't think I was going to march again. It had been a really big adjustment for me going from my tiny little start-up corps to a corps with so much history and tradition to try to work within and absorb. I really felt like I had had enough and was ready to just be a spectator. But three months later I was aching for that first camp, especially after a call from one of my instructors to check in with me about the next year. And from there on out I had no more doubts.

I was talking to my daughter about returning home and she told me one of her hardest adjustments was making decisions.

For example she told that she had a corn dog for lunch every day the first week she was home because they were in the freezer and trying to choose what she wanted was overwhelming so it was simple and easy. For months every moment of her day was planned for her and her food choices were made and it took some time to readjust. We had some FMM over watching Semis too and they were laughing about learning to shower with a group of people at the beginning of the season and how lonesome it was to shower alone once they came home.

My own issue? Before corps I never bought the 300 count bottle of ibuprofin, instead opting for 50 counts or so. Now I can't imagine having that little bottle around. What use is that?

I like this thread, keep it going.

I distinctly remember in 1985 coming home from VK tour, having lost about 40 pounds on tour (no lie). The FIRST thing I did the FIRST night I was back was go get a Bacon Cheeseburger from Jack in the Box. And I remember it tasted really good...and I could only eat about 1/2 of it.

Took a couple of weeks to reacclimate....every year for me.

How long does it generally take to get totally back into "real life?" Basically, to where nothing feels off anymore, it all feels normal again.

Never. That's why we all wind up going to shows as much as we can, volunteering for corps, obsessing about keeping up with everything on DCP, joining an all-age corps, or buying all those DVD's and watching our favorite shows over and over again. :tongue:

I slept on the floor for an entire semester after aging out in '93. The bed just didn't feel right. I ached so much for drum corps that I eventually had to put away all of my drum corps stuff for a few years just so I could move on and grow up and get a real job.

Eating too much was the hardest part. It doesn't feel like tour's over for a little while....it just feels like a whole lot of free days in a row, and with that mind set you keep on eating four meals a day of whatever you see, and feel like you can sit since you'll probably be exercising tomorrow (which you aren't, because it's not a free day).

Also my first year teaching was really hard, because I couldn't understand how the kids could have anything other than their show going on in their lives.