OK Olde Phartz

DCI blasters.....been pretty quiet about the amps, narration, Bb horns.

Maybe finals this year DID prove something. The fan favorite can win.

There is a great post by DCIHasBeen HERE! If you haven't read it, you should.

It appears to me that what has always been best about drum corps HAS been preserved and this year validates it.

So, it's not about G horns, amps, narration...it's about a high quality performance that touches audience members.

Congratulations to DCI for bringing this wierd, goofy, artform/sport/theater/circus/halftime show thing into our lives for another year.

And congratulations to all the corps...all of you deserve our support. And those wierd guys in the green shirts...thanks for not getting in the way of this.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, this year did not bring me back. I attended Quarterfinals and did not go back for semis or finals, the first time in 10 years I was not there. While there were a couple of shows I found entertaining, just not enough of them to justify the ticket price. With the new rules changes that take effect next year I'm not planning on attending even a local show.

Just my two cents since you asked...

. . .just about the time it all dies down about Bb, amps and everything else, now electronics are legal.

Well, it was a nice few weeks on DCP without controversy. :tongue:

we can still bask in the afterglow of this year's finals....I am inviting us all to join together....

I think there was something very fundamental about this year's finals. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we are just one synthsizer away....

I certainly hope not.

I did go to the cinecast for quarterfinals and was impressed with the talent and loved alot more shows then usual. I have never been completely against Bb. When played correctly it has a beautiful timbre.

I have been against amplification (duh) BUT I have since decided I can see where it is needed in the pit only if done properly. I HATE narration even if it's done "right" (as some say here). It just isn't needed. I still think it's a cop out to the designers not being able to effectively portray what they need to.

I'm still a little on the fence. Part of me wants to say Yes I'm back, but I'm somewhat reserved waiting to see what controversy the Cadets and others will bring with the electronics, cause we KNOW it's gonna happen...lol. It just depends financially too.

If I can stand it, I may be back to see finals next year depending on how it goes, if there are more shows that make me forget about the controversies then yes, I'll be back.

we can still bask in the afterglow of this year's finals....I am inviting us all to join together....

I think there was something very fundamental about this year's finals. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe we are just one synthsizer away....I certainly hope not.

LOL...how true. I like this post.

I will agree that finals this year was phantastic! One of the the best, if not the best I've witnessed.

BUT...

It's still about narration for me. I know it's here to stay and there's nothing I can do about it, but until narration being A PART of the show becomes the norm and not THE show (Cadets, '04 Crown and Boston, '05 BD), and it until doesn't come off as a high school production, it will always be about the narration for me. I don't mean "norm" as in all corps using it but "norm" as in, if you're going use it, use it like '07 Crown and Bluecoats. '08 Coats were on the verge to me. I didn't mind the singing in The Boxer, especially sionce it was off mic (wish the horns would've finished it out though) but I thought they could've gone w/o all the coaching tips.

Being blunt. This is the first year I would've stayed to watch every corps perform... except for one.

However, I'd like to see this thread revived next year after the new electronics rules come into play. Especially with wws being not too far off on the horizon.

*flame suit on*

Edited by skajerk

It's still about narration for me. I know it's here to stay and there's nothing I can do about it....

If we collectively pressure the hell out of the B of D, then narration may go a different direction!

Even if it's here to stay, and I in no way favor it any more or less than I have already posted elsewhere on DCP, then I would suggest that any narration be limited to no more than 10% of a corps total time on the field!! So if a corps has a performance time of 9 minutes of movement/music, then only 90 seconds TOTAL of it could be narration....period!! (Even if the narration accompanies music!!).

If narration is here to stay, then less is more in my opinion!!

Edited by victorcoly

Maybe.

I've taken the last 3 years off now, just supporting Dutch Boy's home show. World class next year will depend on reports and early indications of who might be using electronics and amped voice. DCP reports on Phantom and Crown in particular have led me to leave the door open a crack.

This was the FIRST DCI Finals I've been at since 1987 in Madison. Great stuff. But if the trend keeps going toward "amps, narration, any instrument" type of movement then I'm out. But if that happens then what a year to close 40 years of DRUM CORPS. What got me hooked into drum corps was drum corps and not just marching music (marching band). Nuff Said.