Blue Devils skirts

Every time I saw Blue Devils, I kept thinking how much those uniforms with the skirt looked so much like when the guard uniforms were a variation of the corps proper uniform, with a twist. I remember in the 80s when most corps guards uniforms were just so similar to the regular uniform.

And I could be mistaken, but didn't Blue Devils guard in the late 70's and early 80s use a black skirt as part of the their guard attire? I just kept waiting for the whole hornline to do a rifle toss on the 50.

Overall a very nice effect though. My guess was this is a one year thing with the skirts?

Yes, they did remind me of their old guard uni's from maybe 1980 or something like that. I liked them a lot. I thought it added a lot of visual flair to their program, and it fit the theme very well. (and I am NOT a fan of gimmicks and junk that can get in the way of a show.)

Skorts or gauchos, nooo….but I say yes to hot pants

but yeah, I see what you mean except the old school guard vibe you got was from the corps proper, not the guard, so there really wasn't anything to be a variation on - unless you mean last year's uni

Edited by cowtown

BD guard wore gauchos in 79 and 80 - one of my favorite variations on the old guard uniforms. Yes, those sashes did give a bit of that look, and along with the white plumes, it was a bit of flashback.

Skorts or gauchos, nooo….but I say yes to hot pants

but yeah, I see what you mean except the old school guard vibe you got was from the corps proper, not the guard, so there really wasn't anything to be a variation on - unless you mean last year's uni

Maybe I didn't quite phrase it correctly.

The current corps proper uniform with the skirt, reminded me of the old school guard uniforms, which were many times a variation of the old corps proper at that time.

BD guard wore gauchos in 79 and 80 - one of my favorite variations on the old guard uniforms. Yes, those sashes did give a bit of that look, and along with the white plumes, it was a bit of flashback.

as soon as BD came out in Allentown my brother commented that they looked like they were all wearing the old guard gauchos. So I guess others thought it looked like that too.

I never noticed this until I saw BD at finals and was sitting all the way outside the goal line on side 2: When you look at the uniform from the performer's left side in profile, the uniform looks vaguely reminiscent of the pre-1994 style of BD uniform.

I wonder if that was intentional?

No to the skirts. Really didn't help. Bet the guys loved hearing their buddy ask for help getting their skirt on............

The outrageous 60s psychedelia colors they chose plus the bare midriffs on the guard guys with covered midriffs on the guard girls were clearly supposed to be Constantly Risking Absurdity. Some of these outfits... do guard members dissolve into tears when they're handed out (I can't wear that) or do they plug into the concept?