Does the score 85 in July = 85 in August?

I was wondering...would a soon-to-be championship show that scores an 85 in mid July really finish in 12th place with that exact performance on finals night? Let me explain.

I remember watching an early Star of Indiana show in 1993. It was so early that they were still wearing the red and white uniforms from 1992 (no minimalist threads yet). They scored around an 82, and I remember thinking..."There is no way that performance tonight would miss the top twelve, even if they didn't improve a bit. The music was already increadible, the concept was so unique. They were clearly performing on another level.

I had the same experience with the Cavies 2000 Niagra when it was scoring about an 87. The guard was already so tight, the drill amazing. I couldn't possibly imagine that the show would have placed as low as 10 (the traditional place for a score of 87).

So, Phantom and Blue Devils of this season cracked 85 around July 11. If you saw them at that time, how would you have rated that show at finals? (I am NOT suggesting that those shows would have placed 1 and 2 at that current performance level)

Does anyone else know what I mean? Have you had the pleasure of watching a soon-to-be champion show (from any year) early in the season? And was that emerging classic already better than a 12th place finals corps? What are your experiences?

Newsflash: scores don't really mean anything. It's the splits between corps that are important.

As far as I'm concerned, a 98 doesn't really mean a 98. Although you can talk all you want about Boxes and judging criteria what it really comes down to is number management: judge X thinks Corps B was .x better than Corps A in this sub-caption, etc. etc. So to answer your question, no, an 85 in July is not equal to one in August. The numbers are purely arbitrary and shouldn't really be treated as an objective, fixed standard.

If you've never noticed, the top corps generally score 70s in June, 80s in July, 90s in August

While in theory, scores are based on criteria on the back of the judges sheets, and how one corps does in relation to another shouldn't effect the score, the reality is its just a system of putting the corps in order relative to each other.

Would the 85 that Scouts scored to get into finals beat the Blue Devils show that scored 85 in July?

No, not in anybody's wildest imaginations.

And was that emerging classic already better than a 12th place finals corps? What are your experiences?

IMO: no.

I don't think the eventual winner is better in early July than the 12th place corps is at the end of the season.

Especially if the soon to be championship show is still only 8 minutes or on the first of three endings that will be used.

Edited by soccerguy315

My question on TOP of this thread would be...

Does a 98.125 for Phantom in 2008 mean that they would have beat Blue Devils last year, Cavaliers in 06, and a point behind Cadets in 05?

Does a 98.125 for Phantom in 2008 mean that they would have beat Blue Devils last year, Cavaliers in 06, and a point behind Cadets in 05?

Psshh... it would have destroyed all of them.

I don't put much faith in the judging system just because there is not judging system that has been or can ever be created that can 1. find the perfect balance in scoring execution and GE and 2. will satisfy everyone. I am glad they got it right this year, but next year they will get it wrong probably, IMO at least. And someone else will agree with it. Once you get into the upper echelons of scoring, to me it's really a crap shoot.

Only in very rough approximation terms would an 85 in July be similar in quality level to an 85 in August. DCI does not score on a completely absolute scale, but rather a partially comparative one (comparing one corps to others there as well as absolute standards of performance) and the comparisons are only intended to be valid within the same show.

Edited by Peel Paint

You can't compare one years scores to another.

Main reason is the judging system changes year to year.

Also, the number of judges changes.

In DCIs history, there have been as many as 14 judges some years while others (89 for example) there were only 6