Another reason to buy the 2008 DVDs

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is probably up to the directors of which one is on the DVD. I would bet that we don't see BD's finals performance but we get the semi's.

It better be the finals performance..... :cool:

The DVD would lose a lot of intregity (sp) if they placed another entire performance other then finals,

seriously, as much as I would like to hear a perfect solo during BD's 89 ballad I would hate that they replaced the clip with a semi finals performance.

And in 1981 few people had VHS but it caught on eventually.

Since we know BluRay will be the standard, DCI should be recording in 1080p so they can market the discs not only now but in the future. Not to mention, watching the cinecasts in 480i is pretty painful.

DCI didn't sell DVD's until 2000. And even then, the only corps on the DVD's were 1-6. Those DVD's were also really expensive compared to the VHS.

I'm sure there were folks asking for DVD's all through the late 90's, but I presume DCI waited to offer a DVD product until the format was equivalent or more popular than VHS.

BlueRay still hasn't really caught on yet. The majority of folks still buy DVD's. Until BlueRay is more popular than DVD, I wouldn't expect DCI to offer BlueRay discs.

It better be the finals performance..... :cool:

The DVD would lose a lot of intregity (sp) if they placed another entire performance other then finals,

seriously, as much as I would like to hear a perfect solo during BD's 89 ballad I would hate that they replaced the clip with a semi finals performance.

In the potential defense of DCI, IF they give the directors the choice of what performance to use, I don't see it as losing integrity.

The DVD's and CD's are promoted as World Championships, not Finals. When they individualize the DVD for the top 12, they say the Finalists, not the Finals performance, nor does the 2nd DVD indicate whether the corps that placed 13-17 will be Semifinals or Quarterfinals.

Technically-speaking, Q-finals, Semifinals, and Finals constitute World Championships.

It might be justifiable to put whatever show on there you wanted, but it would be a low blow. The DVDs should hold the Championship performance that earned them thier World Championship placement. BD cannot pick Semis just because they got first that night :cool:

The 2008 Drum Corps International World Championships Volume 1 DVD features the top 12 World Class Finalists. This two-disc, anamorphic Widescreen DVD set features Dolby 5.1, and High/Director Cut video options on all 12 corps.

Finally!!!! :cool:

Awesome!!!!!! :cool:

BlueRay still hasn't really caught on yet. The majority of folks still buy DVD's. Until BlueRay is more popular than DVD, I wouldn't expect DCI to offer BlueRay discs.

I think you mean, until BluRay players are cheaper than DVD players. :cool:

I have been to Best Buy and seen just how amazing BluRay looks (and sounds) but just like DVD players were when they first came out, they were just too expensive for the average consumer. And to get the best quality, you also need an HD tv, right?

So, I would LOVE it if dci came out on BluRay... heck, you would probably be able to fit it all on ONE disc... and maybe have extra room for a bunch of other stuff. But the dci market might not be able to benefit from mass producing to bluray until it is essentially the "standard" video disc player - which might still be another 5-10 years away. :cool:

It might be justifiable to put whatever show on there you wanted, but it would be a low blow. The DVDs should hold the Championship performance that earned them thier World Championship placement. BD cannot pick Semis just because they got first that night :cool:

Um, would BD picking Semis make the final results ANY different? I don't think that if BD picks their Semis performance that DCI is obligated to put BD as the 1st place track just because on that night they finished first, so what does it matter? Phantom, BD, Cavaliers, etc. all want their best performance from Championships on the DVD because they want to promote the best of what they are and have been this year. And because the name of the DVD's does not specifically state "Finals" it's not a low blow.

Um, would BD picking Semis make the final results ANY different? I don't think that if BD picks their Semis performance that DCI is obligated to put BD as the 1st place track just because on that night they finished first, so what does it matter? Phantom, BD, Cavaliers, etc. all want their best performance from Championships on the DVD because they want to promote the best of what they are and have been this year. And because the name of the DVD's does not specifically state "Finals" it's not a low blow.

I dont think they would put the full semi finals performance on the DVD. ive heard of them putting a snippet of semifinals in due to a member falling down in the directors finals cut which at most i can take,

i seriously doubt that occurs anyway if it did i hope DCI would inform the potential buyer.

imo opinion it does matter, i want to see the "championship" performance.