1989 BD

I've heard only bits and pieces, but what's the whole story about the BD soloist in the ballad of the show?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He nailed it every show....only fraked it once...unfortunately, at the worst possible time.

It was the worst frack in corps history, IMO

He did NOT get beat up by the corps afterwards

Nothing bad happened to him...he's currently an attorney in practice with his mother (I tried to get him into the alum corps last year, in fact)

He did NOT cost BD a win....the score differance was bigger than any drop from the frack

Well, I am glad to hear that. It would have been too bad if people had come after him for something like that. It's too bad because it really was a pretty piece.

Incidentally, I saw BD this year in Hutch - good show, and I was impressed with their rehearsal methods.

BTW, are there any recordings of the ballad from that year besides finals? I've heard he was one of the most badazz soloists ever and I'd love the opportunity to hear him nail it. I'm surprised this guy wasn't teaching somewhere actually. I've heard really good things about him.

Well the DCI CD has a cut and paste job of the semi performance - so you never hear it on the album.

The original 1989 CDs replaced the finals performance with one from the preliminary rounds. However, when the 25 year DCI finals collection CDs came out in 1995 it featured the original '89 finals performace, complete with "mistake".

We toured with them in '89. From what I remember, he was very consistent all year long. I have a friend that was in the Soprano line that year and said that after finals, he just walked away. They didn't see him at retreat. If you watch the video closely, you will see him mouth the "f" word after he missed it. He was really taken out of his game after that. He started the next tune and was all over the place. I think we've all had shows where we have missed a note or two. In '88, during Malaguena, you can here a certain upper lead soprano miss a high F. It splats across the field! Things happen. He is still an amazing player.