Placement Question

I am curious about something. On Semifinals, Madison (86.375) beat Crossmen (85.95) effectively keeping one of my favorite shows of the season out of finals. Now - on Finals night, Madison scored an 85.225, putting them technically under the Crossmen. As far as DCI is concerned, does that mean that Crossmen really finished in 12th place?

naw...this has happened a lot of times i believe. I am almost positive it happened last year as well!

I am curious about something. On Semifinals, Madison (86.375) beat Crossmen (85.95) effectively keeping one of my favorite shows of the season out of finals. Now - on Finals night, Madison scored an 85.225, putting them technically under the Crossmen. As far as DCI is concerned, does that mean that Crossmen really finished in 12th place?

Nope.

Each event is an independent competition. The previous competitions scores (QF and SF) are used to determine who advance. Thusly, Finals scores, being thier own competition, determine the final 12 positions.

whenever there is a prelims/finals format, scores tend to spread out more in the finals show. This means the lower places go down in score.

e.g. San Antonio:

prelims - Xmen 79.35, Madision 78.95

finals - Xmen 77.275

Check any set of scores from the history of DCI, you'll find the same thing:

e.g. 1972 DCI Championships:

prelims: Bleu Raeders 78.85, Bridgemen 78.55, Garfield Cadets 78.45

finals: Bridgemen 75.40, Bleu 73.95

It's just numbers management on the part of the judges.

During Quarter's in '89, we were in 8th. Semis 11th and Finals 11th. We overhyped during our performance and couldn't stay in control well enough to stay in 8th. It happens.

One of the things I always remind new fans or parents around the Troopers is that the numbers are not objectively quantified. (i.e. we aren't scoring 3-pointers or field goals) It's about position, not numbers. The problem with that in the world of competitive drum corps is that the numbers management game is highly variable from show to show. For example, a lower tier corps in a show with no direct competition might get the score of 78, but three nights later with direct competition comparison they might float down 1-2 points. However, if they maintain their position within the ranks of their direct competition, or expand margins in some captions, it's all good.

I haven't seen as much of the same kinds of inconsistency in the top tier, but over time I've come to appreciate why that is and accept it. (grudgingly, sometimes) Performance consistency across shows, for example, is MUCH higher in the top tier corps. And to be honest I expect that judges are compelled to be a bit more conscious of numbers management for the top tier simply by the nature of the beast.

Edited by TerriTroop

The scores of the 12th, and often the 10th and 11th place corps, almost always go down finals night. As others have said it's about rank and placement, not an actual score. With fewer corps performing on Saturday night the scores tend to spread out; the lower ranking corps scores go down, the middle ranking corps scores stay about the same, and the top ranked corps scores go up.

Edited by shawn craig

The scores of the 12th, and often the 10th and 11th place corps, almost always go down finals night. As others have said it's about rank and placement, not an actual score. With fewer corps performing on Saturday night the scores tend to spread out; the lower ranking corps scores go down, the middle ranking corps scores stay about the same, and the top ranked corps scores go up.

Don't you all see how this illustrates just how flawed the current system is? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't their some purpose in giving a corps a certain score? I mean, if you get a 9.5, isn't there some type of reasoning behind a 9.5 - i.e. achieving a performance level worthy of some criteria required to get a 9.5? I've always been confused about this, because you should score in relation to every other corps based on performance level and I assume a set of criteria needed to achieve a certainly level of a score. Are we really to believe that the lower corps always have worse shows, the middle the same, and only the top corps improve? I guess what I'm asking is, is there a certainly level a corps has to achieve to say earn a 9.5 in brass?