Daycare at Finals

Finals Daycare  

82 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of daycare set up at/near Finals in Indy?

• Awesome! Great idea! I'd take advantage!
    • Maybe...depends on the cost, the quality of daycare center, location, etc.
    • Nope..Not a good idea and not something I'd be interested in taking advantage of.

1. Not everyone can shell out for these hotels with daycare, let alone trust. A DCI partnership is worth exploring.

2. DCI is not able to be compared to other performing arts all the time. 1st DCI is usually outside. DCI is at times inherently loud and wild. Other big differences exist between them. Regular performing are usually a more formal affair. When people wear suits and tuxs to DCI I can maybe rationalize such guidelines. Heck, even the Director of it All, while being inducted to the Hall of Fame, was wearing a golf polo if I remember correctly.

3. Anyone think DCI can get ahold of some 1987 Star of Indiana pink elephants... Mascots :cool:

Edited by User412

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forget "daycare"- put a horn or some sticks in their hand and get them started early! :cool:

Well you already know my son is playing the drums already and very well I might add. :cool:

I honestly thought it was a good idea and would benefit many people, including DCI getting more paying butts in the seats.

I'm not looking for anyone to pay for it for me - I'm certainly willing to pay - for God's sake I'm paying $125 for each seat as it is!

Wasn't looking to start a huge controversy.....

I will continue to pursue this idea and attempt to contact people at DCI to see what they think. Hopefully something positive will come of it, and if not, well - I'll continue to bring my child to Finals and use my judgement as to what she can sit through (not much) and take turns w/my husband keeping her occupied out of earshot.

I agree. I will contact as well. I like this idea and if you need help pursuing it please pm me, I know some people.... :cool:

I'm not sure why this is such a personal attack towards me, but no, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving my 15 month old for several days 12 hours away in NY, not to mention my husband's family is either too old or lives in ITALY, and my parents work full time.

Leaving my child for a few hours at a safe, licensed center - a much better option to me.

Nice idea, but there will be too many issues to have to deal with to make this a worth while proposition. Insurance will be the big stickler, since this is in-cooperation with a DCI event, DCI would share any of the liability. Also, what happens when 100 families show up with 200 kids? Did you know that some states require a teacher for every 5 kids? That's 40 day care workers. Plus, what facility would be able to hold those numbers?

There is a reason why most daycare services don't stay open at night... it's not cost effective.

My kids are 6,4, and 2. There is nothing I would love more than to have a night out with Mom. But I just don't see this happening.

Edited by Newseditor44

Wow... :cool:

It is no more a liablity for DCI then it is for what they do now. Allowing adults to take their kids on the road and be responsible for their KIDS while they go march Madison or some other corps. As a matter of fact some might think that marching drum corps is a way for some parents to send little JOHNNY off to march Madison for the summer so they don't have to be responsible, say another form of DAYCARE? After all why shouldn't someone pay $1,500 so they can have a summer free of no kids.

See how your post comes across?

We know how to take care of our kids, you are not reading. We are trying to come up with logical options for those of us like myself who spend lots of money on DCI in different ways to be able to enjoy it too.

I'm with the above poster who said just because I have a toddler my life shouldn't have to end.

Steph, I have to disagree with you.. it's a HUGE liability. Your logic scares me just a bit. Babies, toddlers and young children need to be cared for as they do not have the ability to care for themselves. Teens (and most corps age kids), are more than capable of taking care of themselves with minimal assistance. With that being said, if DCI were to go into a partnership on a daycare for any event, the law would require them to take out liability insurance, regardless of if they were the operator. It would be a HUGE liability risk, and if i were their attorney, I would tell them to turn and run!!!! It make sno sense for an organization that knows nothing about childcare services to become involved in the business, even on a temporary basis.

However... the best route would be to go straight to an established childcare organization and propose that they do their own service for the evening, separate of DCI.

Edited by Newseditor44

Nice idea, but there will be too many issues to have to deal with to make this a worth while proposition. Insurance will be the big stickler, since this is in-cooperation with a DCI event, DCI would share any of the liability. Also, what happens when 100 families show up with 200 kids? Did you know that some states require a teacher for every 5 kids? That's 40 day care workers. Plus, what facility would be able to hold those numbers?

There is a reason why most daycare services don't stay open at night... it's not cost effective.

My kids are 6,4, and 2. There is nothing I would love more than to have a night out with Mom. But I just don't see this happening.

These are valid concerns, but I just want to point out:

- If there is liability risk associated with day care how can there not be a liability risk associated with bringing them to the event itself?

- If there could be 200 paying customers how would it be not cost effective?

These are valid concerns, but I just want to point out:

- If there is liability risk associated with day care how can there not be a liability risk associated with bringing them to the event itself?

- If there could be 200 paying customers how would it be not cost effective?

1. If you have your kids at an event, YOU, the parent, are responsible for their well being. While at a childcare service, the responsibility for their health, safety and well being falls in the hands of the service, and DCI, since they are a partner in the service. In a sense, DCI would become like a second, responsible parent.

2. First off, finding a facility to house 200 kids would be a nightmare. The largest daycare I've ever seen holds about 50 kids, and that was pretty #### big. As a parent I could care less that its profitable. As an organization, I am sure DCI feels the same way. In every business, there are certain things you just don't want to get involved in, for various reasons. Its the old 'risk versus reward' question... and in this matter, the risk FAR OUTWEIGHS the reward,

1. If you have your kids at an event, YOU, the parent, are responsible for their well being. While at a childcare service, the responsibility for their health, safety and well being falls in the hands of the service, and DCI, since they are a partner in the service. In a sense, DCI would become like a second, responsible parent.

2. First off, finding a facility to house 200 kids would be a nightmare. The largest daycare I've ever seen holds about 50 kids, and that was pretty #### big. As a parent I could care less that its profitable. As an organization, I am sure DCI feels the same way. In every business, there are certain things you just don't want to get involved in, for various reasons. Its the old 'risk versus reward' question... and in this matter, the risk FAR OUTWEIGHS the reward,

There are risk versus reward discussions all the time. But I am sure they must agree on what the risk really is. DCI can be sued for a hundred things already, yet they continue to operate. Daycare partnership is same deal. Waivers are standard form. And daycares do this stuff all the time, I am sure those who actually know about such matters have a better opinion on it. Somehow it works without mass lawsuits bringing death. I do not see a mass epidemic of daycares themselves succumbing to lawsuits, so why would DCI partnering with one do so?

Sizing might be a problem yes, but that is something discussed in the partnership talks. This wouldn't be a last minute deal hammered outside the stadium.

DCI is not able to be compared to other performing arts all the time. 1st DCI is usually outside. DCI is at times inherently loud and wild. Other big differences exist between them. Regular performing are usually a more formal affair. When people wear suits and tuxs to DCI I can maybe rationalize such guidelines. Heck, even the Director of it All, while being inducted to the Hall of Fame, was wearing a golf polo if I remember correctly.

Not sure what loudness or apparel has to do with it. (Although a crowded, loud and wild stadium is perhaps not a good environment for a toddler up past his bedtime.) Orchestra, opera, and ballet are at also times inherently loud and wild, and during the summer season, many symphony orchestras play outdoors to casually dressed audiences. Outdoor summer venues often allow young children in more casual lawn areas but prohibit them from pricier reserved seating areas.

FWIW, I was just at an open orchestra rehearsal this morning where a young mom had to make a hasty retreat when a particularly loud chord startled a dozing toddler.

Steph, I have to disagree with you.. it's a HUGE liability. Your logic scares me just a bit. Babies, toddlers and young children need to be cared for as they do not have the ability to care for themselves. Teens (and most corps age kids), are more than capable of taking care of themselves with minimal assistance. With that being said, if DCI were to go into a partnership on a daycare for any event, the law would require them to take out liability insurance, regardless of if they were the operator. It would be a HUGE liability risk, and if i were their attorney, I would tell them to turn and run!!!! It make sno sense for an organization that knows nothing about childcare services to become involved in the business, even on a temporary basis.

However... the best route would be to go straight to an established childcare organization and propose that they do their own service for the evening, separate of DCI.

I was trying to show the poster how they were coming across. Rude to those who have babies and toddlers and having absolutely no sympathy for the situation. Some parents don't have grandparents or family they can drop them off with, especially if they don't live in the same area.

However I didn't know they would have to take out liablity insurance but don't they when the kids go off to march too? Corps have to have some kind of insurance for kids who get hurt and have to go to the hospital..etc..Right?

I know that toddlers need to be cared for, I have one. :cool:

Some of these kids that march are as young as 14 and they do need supervision of an adult. So I was pointing out the obvious.Not all drum corps kids are adults.

So why do they sign those forms again when they go to join a corps if there is no liablity issue?

Your last sentence is an excellent suggestion. I think we're all just trying to figure out a way to do this at this point. Some are coming on here trying to turn this into something else.

I want to go to finals next year. My son will be 3. I will play it by ear.

Anyway, since DCI is going to be in the same place for many years maybe it would be an avenue for them to consider and a way for them to bring in more customers.

Edited by Lancerlady