• Veterans Memorial Stadium, Jackson MS 1993
    • Foxboro Stadium, Foxboro MA, 1994
    • Citrus Bowl, Orlando 1996-97-98-03
    • Byrd Stadium, College Park MD 2000
    • Invesco Field, Denver 2004
    • Gillette Stadium, Foxboro MA, 2005
    • Rose Bowl, Pasadena CA, 2007
    • Memorial Stadium, Bloomington IN

Of the years I've marched (04-08), Madison, Denver and Bloomington were the best. Foxboro was a pain in the ### and the weather was terrible (hottest finals week I've been a part of), and the Rose Bowl was by far the worst venue for finals that I've witnessed. Nothing about it was good.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only that would happen. FedEx Field would be great for finals IMO. Even M&T would work well. Oh well. Guess I missed out on the "hometown" final in 2000.

Finals in 2000 was actually supposed to be at FedEx Field. Dan Snyder bought the team that year and there was a "problem" with them hosting it. Oh well..... Luckily Byrd Stadium was a viable alternative.

FedEx would probably not be a good venue to pursue in the future due to the natural grass. M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore would be the best choice if DCI ever decided to go back to the mid-Atlantic region.

M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore would be the best choice if DCI ever decided to go back to the mid-Atlantic region.

Finals in Baltimore, I can dream I guess...

(If only I "found" drum corps in 2000...)

Somebody should say something nice about Whitewater. Housing ( at that time.......I don't know now) was non-existent. You had to stay in Madison or Janesville. But I had so many happy memories there.........the first time I saw SCV against Madison (75 DCI Midwest) ...........I'd seen SCV in a clinic the year before.............but my first real contest was there................so it was the first time I saw the Kilties, the Troopers, the Blue Devils, The Blue Stars, the Phantom Regiment, The Cavaliers,...........etc.

I am not saying it would make a good housing site now...................but it must hold millions of memories of a lot of drum corps fans (just a few thousand of my own).

:lol:

I really had little fault with any of the sites, I made sure I had fun at all of them. We even had a nice motel on the North side in Miami. One of the city parking attendants tried to hit me up for more than the parking fee ( He said he would watch my car extra carefully for $15 more). I replied Hell, I don't care, it's a rental..it's not mine, do you want the keys?

Drum corps, because I was so interested in it, took me outside my comfort zone. I went from Ithaca, New York to Garfield, New Jersey to Birmingham, Atlanta, Miami,Orlando, Kansas City, Denver, Madison, Whitewater, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Hamilton , Ontario, and Montreal. Thanks for the memories Drum Corps. (Missed Jackson and Dallas ...sounds like I didn't miss much but the heat).

:thumbup: DRUM CORPS!!!!!! :w00t:

Somebody should say something nice about Whitewater. Housing ( at that time.......I don't know now) was non-existent. You had to stay in Madison or Janesville.

Ah, another reason we always liked Whitewater, not just because it was our FIRST big finals in many years, but because we stayed in the DORMS and were two to a room. I think we might have even had a chance for dorm food, which at the time, was a real treat too! Was that Big Gene that took a whole dinner plate and made his ice cream sunday on that???!!! :thumbup:

If anyone votes for Miami, that person deserves to be tracked down and forced to listen to the best Slim Whitman and Zamfir for 3 days straight!

....or dance with a doll while a jumbo jet flies overhead !!!

Geoffrey

(soory, I cant resist, I dont think I'll ever be able to stop, and Im laughing so hard right now...)

Whitewater is the best place to watch and march drum corps ever. But it's too small for what tye week has become now.

So...

It's Madison. Are you kidding me? I've always preferred the college stadiums to the pro stadiums because it reinforces my belief is the basics of the art form. Plus, the college-town atmosphere , the fact that it's centrally located (basically), and the built-in hook of the most popular corps in the activity as a home team. Game, set, match.

ETA: Anybody else remember those cool individual corps radio spots "Magic 96" did for the first Championships in 85? What's not to love about a town that says "Welcome?"

Edited by tommytimp

• 1 month later...

Rose Bowl--What practice site are we gonna use again? None. Find your own.

Citrus Bowl Orlando--Ghettoville. Don't try walking around the stadium, you'll get shot. Forget about going across the street to try and get food after performing or at intermission.

Denver--Lovely parking lot, beautiful for the pit (we like pavement). Practice site availability? There is none. Learn to share a parking lot.

Perkins Stadium--No.

Bloomington--Pit Nightmare. Nice weather.

Veterans Mem. Stadium Jackson, MS--Nice bathroom availability.

Madison is amazing. I could list 100 reasons why. Really, I could. But I don't think I need to. This poll speaks for itself.