Come from behind wins

So after this years finals I got to thinking.... Has a corps, other than Regiment, come from behind to win DCI?

In 96 Regiment went from 4th in qrtrs to 3rd in semis to tie for the win.

this year its was 3,2,1

I seem to recall SCV winning prelims one year and losing finals.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

SCV 83 was the most recent corps (other than BD 08) to win the night before and not win finals. Sounds like a really crazy night....SCV won prelims and BD and Cadets tied for second, and both corps passed SCV in the end.

Other than that, Kingsmen took third at prelims in 72, and SCV took third at prelims in 74. Those are the four times that a corps won finals that didn't win the night before (excluding the three ties).

Other interesting stuff is BD's undefeated season in 95 until quarter finals.

Did that happen in '88 with BD and Madison?

-GM

No, Madison won both Semis and Finals. Back then the previous years top 12 didn't do Quarters.

Right -- was called Prelims back then. And Madison did, in fact, win both Semis and Finals as you say, but no one knew that at the time because they didn't announce the semis scores before Finals, which was in random performance order. So it was quite exciting as everyone THOUGHT that Madison had "jumped" BD on Finals night -- wasn't until later that we all realized it was just one more boring continuation of Semis to Finals :thumbup:

What do you mean by "coming from behind"? An undefeated season is awfully rare, so just about every champion was behind during the season at one point. If you mean coming from behind during Championships, it's happened a couple other times. Obviously if you're counting the ties, then Cavaliers and SCV came from behind in 2000 and 1999, respectively. The Cadets came from behind to win in 1998, while Quarters champion Blue Devils dropped to third. The Cadets also came back to win in 1993; Star was first in Quarters. Star was also first in quarters in 1992, but the Cavaliers came from behind to win that year.

Intersting trivia: though the Cadets and Cavaliers are the only corps with three-peats, Star (91-93) and BD (96-98) are the only corps to have won Quarterfinals for three years in a row.

Intersting trivia: though the Cadets and Cavaliers are the only corps with three-peats, Star (91-93) and BD (96-98) are the only corps to have won Quarterfinals for three years in a row.

Ah, that is interesting. And BD is still in the midst of another one of those three-peats as they won Quarters last year and this year.

Also, if I read all that right, I think that if BD wins Semis next year (regardless of what happens in Finals), they will be the only corps to have a three-peat in Semis without a three-peat in Finals, as well.

No commentary intended, just interesting trivia :thumbup:

Edited by Liam

This also happened in 2004.

BD lost to SCV in Seattle earlier that year.

Ah, that is interesting. And BD is still in the midst of another one of those three-peats as they won Quarters last year and this year.

Also, if I read all that right, I think that if BD wins Semis next year (regardless of what happens in Finals), they will be the only corps to have a three-peat in Semis without a three-peat in Finals, as well.

No commentary intended, just interesting trivia :w00t:

Wishful thinking, me thinks! Just kidding :thumbup: