Food problems on tour

from all my friends that have marched they all have came back saying they ate well and "#### three times a day" apparently it was awesome

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard these stories as well, over the years. The difference is now, in the Internet age, when a corps tries it, word gets out faster, and to a lot more people. In fact, as many probably read on here, it happened very recently (not this season) to a corps. Since word does get out a lot faster now, the corps got the help they needed to make it through Championships.

How does it happen? Clearly, no management team sets out to not feed their corps but perhaps they're cash strapped, the choice is made to field a corps despite those concerns so as not to disappoint fans/kids, or lose momentum. Then a big unexpected expense arises, and they don't have the ability to pay for the food payment.

There's no good excuse for this, but when few if any of these folks are financial professionals you can see where they'd let their heart lead their head and make unrealistic budget projections.

I'm frankly surprised that it DIDN'T happen this season (as far as I'm aware, anyway,) with gas prices what they were.

I marched in 1991 for the first time (corps to remain anonymous) and swore that I would never march again. Reason? They didn't feed us. We rolled into Dallas rehearsing as much as any corps out there. It was freakishly hot, and they sustained us on basically little for breakfast, little for lunch and little for dinner. Late night snack? Didn't exist for the last part of tour. I did march again in '93, but with Madison this go around. The attitude about taking care of the corps was completely different. We were fed and fed well. The staff was genuinely interested in taking care of the corps...Not babying us, but seeing that we were eating well enough to reahearse and perform well, and not go to bed hungry.

When you've had a 14 rehearsal day in blazing heat and are hungry all the while, you grow a new appreciation for the word resentment!

... but has particularly long lasting consequences when its done during formative years. .

I would never consider 17-21 "formative years". I don't think my kids' pediatrician would either.

I'm pretty new to DCP....does every thread deteriorate into a pissing match like this one?

I would never consider 17-21 "formative years". I don't think my kids' pediatrician would either.

then come up with another word that suits your world view. for most people, the body is still growing during that period. if you don't have proper nutrition while your body is growing, it stunts your growth, and can have other long term consequences. ask your pediatrician about that one.

Boys in particular can continue to naturally grow in height and muscle mass past 18. I think the point of the "formative years" comment is that teenagers need GOOD nutrition, and lots of it. I don't see the point of nitpicking over that. (edited to add here that brain development is actually very formative in the 18-25 years, and good nutrition is just a good idea, period.)

The past is past for some corps. There was a time some corps didn't have food trucks. The dues were kept very low and kids had to bring their own money for meals. I remember well in 1985 that we would stop at a Bishop's Cafeteria and take the place over. We also stopped at malls or areas of towns that had a few restaurants - fast food or not. ("Get off the bus, eat, be back in 45.")

Fast forward to 2008. Fred Morris made it his mission that food for the corps was never to suffer. In the movie "America's Core" (available online for purchase!) he said they feed the kids FOUR square meals a day. Not three. I heard from the kids that they ate very well this summer. Kudos to all directors who have done everything they can to make sure their corps eats well.

Maybe instead of bellyaching on the internet about food problems we should all get more involved in helping corps feed the kids. There are lots of things we can do:

Food fundraisers - church or school groups can do a nonperishable "bring a box" drive, or they can fundraise to give money toward food purchases

Spot feed - organize a meal for a corps. I really enjoyed getting enough funds from alums to pay for a barbeque dinner for the Troopers in San Antonio. Seeing their eyes light up at something completely different than food truck food was a highlight. The ice cream after the evening block didn't hurt either.

Donate at souvie wagons

Call a corps and ask what they need for the food truck and help them stock before tour

(Add your own here!)

Edited by TerriTroop

I'm pretty new to DCP....does every thread deteriorate into a pissing match like this one?

Pretty much.

Some deteriorate into true pissing matches. I don't see that here. Offhand remarks can look much more confrontational on screen than they would when accompanied by inflection and body language found in a real in-person bull session.