Phantom Brass Staff

So, we all talk about Phantom and how the corps communicates so well with the audience and how year in year out they are a perennial top hornline. However, their staff, particularly brass, seems to go relatively unnamed. This team of people consistently help to put out what many of us consider to be one of the standards in brass playing today.

We all know JD Shaw, and his work and passion for Phantom and his incredible and unique writing style for the corps. But, unlike corps like Cadets, Cavies, Crown and BD, their brass staff seems to get lost in the shuffle. I think with all the Donnie van Doren's and Wayne Downey's out there, perhaps this staff has a few of those next big names in DCI.

Anyone know any of these guys? I only know their Brass Co-Caption Head, Dr. Chip Crotts. He marched Phantom and was a soloist for BD in 91-92. Played and toured with Maynard Ferguson and currently teaches trumpet at JSU in Alabama. GREAT player and teacher!

Can anyone else share anything about the rest of this talented staff? Thought it would be nice to recognize them a bit... :smile:

Edited by trumpetcam

here's a listing of people on staff:

Brass: J.D. Shaw (arranger, caption head), Chip Crotts (co-caption head), Andrea Brown, Dave Cooksey, Taylor Criswell, Mason Daffinee, Freddy Martin, Chris Rugila, Darian Sanders.

I know Andrea Brown teaches in the music department (marching band) at Austin Peay State University in Clarksville, TN.

their bios are listed here: http://regiment.org/staff.cfm

Freddy Martin. Really needs no explanation. He was the founder and director of the Spirit of Atlanta as well as workig with the hornline. If you subscribe to the Instrumentalist magazine, that issue is dedicated to him with one of the best articles in a long time. He is an outstanding educator, adjudicator and motivator for many years.

I have had the honor to judge with him from time to time and I have learned a great deal in his critiques with the directors. He has that nice southern demeanor. When bands played poorly, he made them feel like a million bucks when they left a critique

His son, Chris, a former Phantom member is now the principal trumpet with the Chicago Symphony.

I know you already mentioned him, but I cannot give enough praise for Dr. Chip Crotts. In addition to teaching a very good trumpet studio at JSU, he is also Director of Jazz Studies. Since his arrival at JSU in '02, he, along with saxophonist Mace Hibbard and bassist Marc Miller, have transformed the jazz studies program into one of the best in the southeast, with three big bands and several combos. It was something I was very proud to be a part of for five years. I learned a lot from Chip, and was very excited to see him work with the Regiment this summer. He is a true professional and treats his students as the same. I was thrilled that I got to spend my last days as a JSU student recording an album and playing at the famed Ona's Music Room in Birmingham.

Edited by scalenesofar

His son, Chris, a former Phantom member is now the principal trumpet with the Chicago Symphony.

Actually, Chris marched Spirit in 93 while his youngest son, Mike, marched Phantom in 04. Two great young men and both phenomenal players, obviously. Chris, as you know is Principal Trumpet of Chicago and Mike just won a sub position with them and spent the summer at Tanglewood.

Freddy for sure is an inspiration to the entire brass staff and am sure is instrumental to their success. Seem to recall them using some of Freddy's "tricks" from his days with Spirit. The hornline this year had some moments that sounded eerily similar to the 1980 and 1986 Spirit lines... :smile:

Great teachers and great kids it seems. very cool!

Edited by trumpetcam

So, we all talk about Phantom and how the corps communicates so well with the audience and how year in year out they are a perennial top hornline. However, their staff, particularly brass, seem to go relatively unknown. This team of people consistently help to put out what many of us consider to be one of the standards in brass playing today.

We all know JD Shaw, and his work and passion for Phantom and his incredible and unique writing style for the corps. But, unlike corps like Cadets, Cavies, Crown and BD, their brass staff seems to go relatively unnoticed. I think with all the Donny van Doren's and Wayne Downey's out there, I would think a few of the next big name guys may be on this staff.

Anyone know many of these guys? I only know their Brass Co-Caption Head, Dr. Chip Crotts. He marched Phantom and was a soloist for BD in 91-92. Played and toured with Maynard Ferguson and currently teaches trumpet at JSU in Alabama. GREAT player and teacher!

Can anyone else share anything about the rest of this talented staff? Thought it would be nice to recognize them a bit... :smile:

JD Shaw is a genius. Does anyone know what year(s) he marched with Phantom? I believe he was in Sky Ryders first.

Freddy Martin. Really needs no explanation. He was the founder and director of the Spirit of Atlanta as well as workig with the hornline. If you subscribe to the Instrumentalist magazine, that issue is dedicated to him with one of the best articles in a long time. He is an outstanding educator, adjudicator and motivator for many years.

I have had the honor to judge with him from time to time and I have learned a great deal in his critiques with the directors. He has that nice southern demeanor. When bands played poorly, he made them feel like a million bucks when they left a critique

I marched in the Sprayberry High School Band of Gold in the early 90s. Freddy's brother Dan was the band director. He and Freddy were the brass instructors. They are, by far, the best brass instructors I've ever been taught by, with absolutely no offense meant towards anyone on the brass staff at Madison when I marched there. In those brass lines at SHS were Chris Martin (who marched SPIRIT in '93, and won I. and E., as a member of a 17th place drum corps, but never marched Phantom.), Scott Lile, who was a lead soprano in Blue Devils in '94, and then a lead soprano and soloist in Madison in '95, myself, and other members of Cadets, Bluecoats, Spirit, Southwind...and others I'm sure).

Freddy basically stopped touring with Spirit in '89 when Chris started high school, to work with us. And, in my humble opinion, that was when the corps started its downward spiral....he was THE heart and soul of Spirit.

JD Shaw is a genius. Does anyone know what year(s) he marched with Phantom? I believe he was in Sky Ryders first.

He marched 90 & 91.

Yes, he did march Sky Ryders previously. He in fact went to high school in Hutchinson

I know he was at least in '91. He was the Nessun Dorma soloist.

J.D. Shaw -- co-caption head/arranger -- marched PR 90-91 (mello soloist in 91). Previously arranged for Boston and Academy. French hornist/arranger for Boston Brass, an outstanding professional brass quintet. Starting this month as French horn professor at Univ of Miami. Proud to call him my friend.

Chip Crotts -- co-caption head -- marched PR in 1989 and BD in 1990-92. Previously caption head for Spirit. Trumpet and jazz prof at Jacksonville State. Super nice guy.

Kevin Rabon -- was the caption head the previous few years (worth noting since he's had a lot to do with the hornline for many years) -- marched PR in the mid 1990s. Not involved nearly as much in 2008. Band director in Texas.

Mason Daffinee -- marched PR 1999 through 02 (I think) -- terrific tuba player. Went to school in NY. Now a band director in Texas.

Andrea Brown -- athletic bands director at Austin Peay...she's been on staff for several years.

Freddy Martin -- band director in Atlanta suburb -- founder and long-time director of Spirit of Atlanta. DCI Hall of Famer. The nicest guy you'll ever meet. Son Chris is absolutely incredible as principal trumpet with Chicago Symphony. Son Mike was a trumpet player for PR and has subbed with several major orchestras.

David Cooksey -- former Scout, Scout instructor and DCI judge -- he manages the respiratory therapy department at a hospital in Milwaukee.

Taylor Criswell -- PR baritone a few years ago. I'm drawing a blank, but I think he's a band director in Tennessee now.

Darian Sanders -- PR trumpet and then DM the past few years. Newest guy on the staff.

All are super cool. PR couldn't ask for a better group of people.

G

Edited by GSNewell