1992 Madison?

I really love both the 91 and 92 "City of Angels" shows. In fact, they are in the top five of all my favorites of the "modern era" of drum corps. (Yep, I'm an old phart!)

That being said, the last 4 minutes or so of the 1992 edition may be some of the most intense and "noir-ish" (to quote a term from further up the thread!) music ever performed on the field! (OK, I'm backing it up to the 7:30 mark as I type!)

Great Stuff!

Later edit: OK, so I've just fired up the 91 version! The last 4 minutes or so of that one may be some of the most "fun" and swinging music!

And someone earlier in the thread was right about all the music from the original musical...GREAT!

1992 City of Angels is phenomenal. One of my all time favorites as well.

Jeff's drill is mind blowing and is a great demonstration just how musical a drill can be.

Interestin to think if they had brought back Remembrance in 1991, what they would have done in 1998. I love the '98 version even better than the '90 version and it fit the show perfectly. Great chart.

'92 scouts is one of my favorite shows....the last few minutes are AMAZING and clearly did a great job of drawing the crowd in (standing ovation at the brass re-entry after the percussion feature). great drill for the time, too.

Interestin to think if they had brought back Remembrance in 1991, what they would have done in 1998. I love the '98 version even better than the '90 version and it fit the show perfectly. Great chart.

remembrance was originally going to be the 93 closer. it was changed to the boerma original before the january camp though.

remembrance was originally going to be the 93 closer. it was changed to the boerma original before the january camp though.

Remembrance would have worked a lot better. I always thought that the 93 closer seemed an afterthought to Strawberrry Soup.

Remembrance would have worked a lot better. I always thought that the 93 closer seemed an afterthought to Strawberrry Soup.

Funny, that closer to me makes the whole show. For one it's just beautiful (original music that's actual music, who would have thought) and it's epic the way the tune bookends the show. Hugely underrated show, loved every second.

93's drum solo to me ABSOLUTELY ROCKED!!!!!! I rarely get too overly hyped about drum stuff because to my culturally and musically immature ears drumlines and features sound formulaic and "all the same", but 93's moved me. Come to think of it...Blue Knights "Close Encounters" drum solo did the same thing to me. WAY out of the norm and it rocked as well.

ANYWAY...I had a friend who was the brass caption head for VK in 1992. He told me he was in the seats on the 50 about midway up in the first level. He said when Madison's hornline came down and formed the block for the final note, he said it was so loud he was frightened. Yeah...a big 6 ft 6 guartanuan brass caption head was reduced to weeping little boy. But face it...from the drum solo out to the end of Mad's 92 show may not have set standards for cleanliness and artistic nuance, but who wanted it. It was the akin to being beat up with a sonic sledgehammer. Agreed...one of the most intense drum corps experiences in those 5 minutes of show.

91....eh. It was ok. 92 far surpassed it though.

Of course, I liked SCV 89 better than 88...I think I'm the only one in DCP Land that thinks that. So who am I?