Corps with a current identity crisis

Eh...disagree. Thats like calling the cadets on playing malaguena in 2003. Sure, if crown keeps on doing 'best of' shows for years to come, you'd have a point, but one year does not a trend make. They may have done some familiar songs last year, but those where quite different thematically, whereas this year was an intentional and direct lift. As far as brass playing, i hear very little similarities to phantom. Certainly nothing that warrants a copycat label. As far as marching straight leg...i dont think cadets get a copyright on that...who invented it anyway???

Great points!

But 2003 Cadets playing malaguena was like a remix of what Madison did, and Blue Shades in 2007 was certainly different enough that I didn't really think about Santa Clara. As for Straightleg, the current Quad Muscle extension Straightleg and "separation of thigh" concepts is coined by the Cadets technique. You see the actual development of it between 1991 and 1993.

It's probably just me, I know many of the Crown staff taught and marched Cadets, but I just seem to see visual similarities with the Cadets and Musical similarities with Phantom.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok...and ok... Here's where you lose me. You say the shows since 05 have been less impressive to you. I happen to disagree about 07 for the most part, and aside from the narration, find it ######, but we can get past that. What about the other cadets shows of the 2000's then?? I mean, 2000 was great, and 01 had a good hornline with a decent (but comparatively easy drill, and the velocity and excitement just went down from there. You talk about gimmicks...02 was the most gimmicky, and 2003 seemed like a cry for love. 2004 was just :thumbup: I can hardly remember a single distinctive drill move from those years, and 05 wasnt that much more interesting. I mean yeah, this year wasnt exactly 98 or 97, or 93 cadets, but then again we havent seen those kinds of shows since...well, the 90's :lol:

please hit yourself in the face. whats up with your signature. " im pretty sure my corps is better than your corps" that is the most ######## thing I have ever read on here EVER

05 rocked

06 sucked

07 rocked

08 sucked

now the cadets are returning to what they should be so relax give em a break. you want to attack someone for being gimmicky? try cavies 00-08? and bd? how many times can they bang on field toms? or have guard members hold tenor drums. Or horns become swords ?!?!?! come on dude....

In regards to your comments about Sal: cadetzoid.

Dear cadetzoid,

WOW. You are angry. Little bit about what your own post said before you went off on Sue. You, cadetzoid, have seemed like a fair fellow, not abrassive and I assume not "riddled with malice" (nice imagery BTW). I have enjoyed your posts that I have read. Defending Sal or justice, fairness, or whatever your driving purpose for the post could be admirable, but this rant seems, well, out of control and...angry. Some advice:

If your post is going to include you writing "I am angry", then stop writing, don't post, drink a beer or two and decide for yourself what this is all worth and what is the right venue in which to vent, then sleep on it, then get up and don't post. You are probably a grown man/woman? and know this life lesson. We all screw up based on our emotions. Though Sue's post may have sent you over the edge, isn't it really all those people you are angry at and not just her? Not trying to preach at you. Just know that many of us can relate to these kinds of emotions. I happen to agree with much of what you said in regards to leaving Sal Salas alone and with "stop airing the unprovable dirty laudry." The knarly Madison alumni that do fit what you describe is not at all the majority of Madison Alumni or supporters. You nor I can yell at someone and make it stop.

dawg

Dawg,

Some good advice. Bravo! Very calmly put...are you a family counselor? Maybe such rants could somehow automatically be tagged and rather than being posted, would go to a person hired as a counselor. You know, the talk them off the wall before anyone gets hurt whole thing. Though I got past my frustration with all the Scout's- Sal vs Stewart vs Whomever thing a while ago, I too understand the desire to want to sometimes yell "shut up already" where some of drum corps' ugliest, lingering issues are concerned. With Sal Salas I have been curious about the whole slander issue however. Seems one thing to call GH crazy or confused, or to question any director's show or leadership choices in general, but to openly accuse someone of something specific like running a corps into the ground financially seems to be a whole 'nother kind of issue. Not that that is what by-line was doing. I assume that when you are talking about a 503C not for profit youth organization, there are more "legal"/prosecute-able issues to tread about lightly where money use is concerned.? So it seems any form of accusations could be dangerous. Again, not accusing by-line of that. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Maybe the medical profession's creed is applicable with rants, "First, do no harm." Right, isn't that from the doctors oath or something?

Other advice for cadetzoid, try to ignore anything negative here on DCP if you can. Notice how much fun, cooperative stuff is on here. Focus primarily on that. :thumbup:

Dawg,

Let sleeping dogs lie.

Didn't you mean to say. Let sleeping dawgs lie. ?

dawg

Their brass design is too close with that of Phantom Regiment: Majestic, Sublime, Sustains, Chords.

Yeah but Crown manages to play without stick-outs, gross sounds, and can actual sustain phrases without bagging at the end.

please hit yourself in the face. whats up with your signature. " im pretty sure my corps is better than your corps" that is the most ######## thing I have ever read on here EVER

05 rocked

06 sucked

07 rocked

08 sucked

now the cadets are returning to what they should be so relax give em a break. you want to attack someone for being gimmicky? try cavies 00-08? and bd? how many times can they bang on field toms? or have guard members hold tenor drums. Or horns become swords ?!?!?! come on dude....

Wow, you have a major reading comprehension problem. I was calling out another poster for saying that the cadets of the past 4 years are somehow more gimmicky and had less identity than those of the early 2000's. All i was saying is that the early 2000's saw more 'identity crisis', than recent years. Some of the shows i talked about, I happen to enjoy a great deal (except 2004, but noone likes that) As for cavies and bd... they have their gimmicks, just like every corps out there....what's your point?

Oh, and my signature is designed to upset frail types like you. Glad you like it! :thumbup:

A BIG apology.

To Sue Templeton Deschene, and everyone offended by my rant from last night,

Sue, I am very sorry for my harsh and emotional post in response to you. Without inferring excuses, it was done at the wrong time, under the wrong circumstances, and I should have never responded the way I did. I started thinking about it early this morning, and feared that when I got home to re-read my post, I would feel ashamed. I do.

Though I would never deny my own opinion of how much I disagree with how specific individuals in the drum corps activity are sometimes spoken of in this forum, my expression of that last evening is not representative of how I normally carry myself, nor is it how I would want to act in any venue in the future. As someone stated in their own response, my frustration with this subject matter started long before your post and therefore, you should have not been the target of my emotional, uncontrolled words.

Please accept my apology. You of course have no reason to know my level of sincerity. I can only promise it is genuine and heart-felt. I broke one of my own life rules that has me incredibly disappointed in myself.

A BIG apology.

To Sue Templeton Deschene, and everyone offended by my rant from last night,

Sue, I am very sorry for my harsh and emotional post in response to you. Without inferring excuses, it was done at the wrong time, under the wrong circumstances, and I should have never responded the way I did. I started thinking about it early this morning, and feared that when I got home to re-read my post, I would feel ashamed. I do.

Though I would never deny my own opinion of how much I disagree with how specific individuals in the drum corps activity are sometimes spoken of in this forum, my expression of that last evening is not representative of how I normally carry myself, nor is it how I would want to act in any venue in the future. As someone stated in their own response, my frustration with this subject matter started long before your post and therefore, you should have not been the target of my emotional, uncontrolled words.

Please accept my apology. You of course have no reason to know my level of sincerity. I can only promise it is genuine and heart-felt. I broke one of my own life rules that has me incredibly disappointed in myself.

Group HUG!!! :thumbup: