Shouldn't they be better than the real world?

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just going to say that drum corps is its own family with its own set of values. If you don't like them, don't get involved.

I'm just going to say that drum corps is its own family with its own set of values. If you don't like them, don't get involved.

True Dat.

You're painting a worst-case-scenario. Also, where is your data coming from? Are you gleaning info from THIS SITE?

Look, last time I checked, drum corps kids aren't being arrested and booked for domestic violence, prostitution, steroid use, drug dealing, grand theft auto, solicitation for murder, kidnapping, and so on.... Watch ESPN to see what's up with professional athletes. Watch CNN to see what corporate mischief is making the news.

90%??? I've got a teen daughter. Exaggeration is her middle name. C'mon.

I have 3 years or marching experience and am now involved with another corps. I have NEVER witnessed or heard of outdoor, group showering.

There are plenty of adults around each corps. Lots of moms and dads go on tour. If your kid wanted to march (which I doubt, as they no doubt fear the prospect), make yourself visible and active to assuage your fears. I think you'd find it ain't that bad.

Edited by 27/soa

Very well spoken - they have their own set of values - if you don't like them get out. I am talking about real world values that influence our youth. This is still a youth organization - when did it become acceptable to change the value system to pick and chose the ones that work for an organization? I must not have gotten that memo.

I already know that this will upset some people but I felt compelled to express my opinion (yes everyone has their own). There is so much talk about how positive drum corps life is that after reading this forum, seeing pictures and hearing stories of what happens during a season I believe I feel differently now. Yes, I know there are positive experiences such as team work, working toward a goal, etc. However there seems to be a downside. I know we aren't in Kansas anymore and I know these things are a fact of life but when you are talking about the best of the best musicians in their age bracket - I think some of the stuff that happens is not acceptable at that level...Let me begin

1. There is much talk about lack of nutrition - that is not a good thing during these years.

2. Talk about the toll the summer takes on the body - especially with the diffcult drill, the constant wear and tear on joints, the sun damage, etc.

3. The lack of clothing worn by both sexes. Yes it is hot out but seriously - some of the pictures I have seen are offensive for family entertainment.

4. The "hooking up" aspect that many members brag about during the summer even if the member has a significant other at home. Kids will be kids but seriously - one member stated 90% of the corp hooked up. Sorry I think the corps has an obligation to instill certain values - hooking up not being one of them.

5. Showering together - showering nude outside - etc. I would never let my 14 year old march - no one needs to be THAT exposed to anything especially in a family event such as drum corps.

6. The antics on the bus! Everyone has read about them or seen photos. Many appear to be nothing more than hazing and stupidity.

7. What happens on drum corps stays on drum corps - where is the family value there.

8. Problems at finals this year with disrespect from some corps. Not a good value either.

You are exactly right when you say "well she never marched" so she doesn't know. What I do know is that as a parent I don't think most corps are doing right by the kids. These kids are incredibly talented or they wouldn't have made their corps. They should be held to a higher standard because they are the best. The saying kids will be kids doesn't fly for me.

1. I haven't personally seen a corps in world class / div. 1 with no food since 1999.

2. It comes with the territory. I like to rock climb also. Rock climbers talk all the time about injuries to their tendons and shoulders. You take precautions, but achieving at a high level takes its toll.

3. Drum corps people usually aren't ashamed of their bodies. In 10 years I've never seen a drum corps member rehearsing in any state of undress that would get them arrested. Therefore, I don't see any problems.

4. That one member is exaggerating. A lot. Also, I don't agree with some of the values I suspect you think drum corps should be teaching. You have your opinion, I have mine.

5. Never seen anyone showering nude outside. Sorry. Showering together in a locker room? Totally normal. Don't be ashamed of your body.

6. Hazing? Not in my experience. People who don't want to get crazy are left alone. Stupidity? Maybe. I'm a responsible adult and I'm glad I got stupid on the bus.

7. Hence the point of the slogan: Keep it to yourself.

8. I agree. Experience tells me that this is something that all finalist corps will be addressing next year within their ranks.

It's fine for you to say that "kids will be kids" doesn't fly with you. In response I will say that the term "family values" you used several times does not fly with me. I think you have 1.5 valid points for concern. The rest, in my opinion, are non-issues.

You're painting a worst-case-scenario. Also, where is your data coming from? Are you gleaning info from THIS SITE?

Look, last time I checked, drum corps kids aren't being arrested and booked for domestic violence, prostitution, steroid use, drug dealing, grand theft auto, solicitation for murder, kidnapping, and so on.... Watch ESPN to see what's up with professional athletes. Watch CNN to see what corporate mischief is making the news.

There are plenty of adults around each corps. Lots of moms and dads go on tour. If your kid wanted to march, make yourself visible to assuage your fears.

It ain't that bad.

I don't believe I am painting a worse case scenario at all. What I am saying is that corps should keep in mind the audience that attends drum corps events. They are previous marchers, families and high school kids. In my book, profanity has no place in drum corps, revealing clothing and questionable morales should be evaluated. This is not the military where we are training our youth to fight for their life, this is not professional sports where being #1 decides whether or not you can support your family nor is this entity the kids who are fighting for their every day existence and commit crime to survive.

This is about pulling together for a common purpose, for performing to the audience, the friendships you form along the way. I am all for that - I think the rest is just what our society has come to and drum corps with the calibur of leadership should be held to a better standard for these talented youth.

1. I haven't personally seen a corps in world class / div. 1 with no food since 1999.

2. It comes with the territory. I like to rock climb also. Rock climbers talk all the time about injuries to their tendons and shoulders. You take precautions, but achieving at a high level takes its toll.

3. Drum corps people usually aren't ashamed of their bodies. In 10 years I've never seen a drum corps member rehearsing in any state of undress that would get them arrested. Therefore, I don't see any problems.

4. That one member is exaggerating. A lot. Also, I don't agree with some of the values I suspect you think drum corps should be teaching. You have your opinion, I have mine.

5. Never seen anyone showering nude outside. Sorry. Showering together in a locker room? Totally normal. Don't be ashamed of your body.

6. Hazing? Not in my experience. People who don't want to get crazy are left alone. Stupidity? Maybe. I'm a responsible adult and I'm glad I got stupid on the bus.

7. Hence the point of the slogan: Keep it to yourself.

8. I agree. Experience tells me that this is something that all finalist corps will be addressing next year within their ranks.

It's fine for you to say that "kids will be kids" doesn't fly with you. In response I will say that the term "family values" you used several times does not fly with me. I think you have 1.5 valid points for concern. The rest, in my opinion, are non-issues.

I respect your opinion - like I said - I am looking at it from a "mothers point of you" not from the youth.

Again I ask, and I think we all wonder, WHERE are you getting your information from? You obviously are passionate about your beliefs.

I am a parent, too, leaning way to the "right" as to where my daughter goes, what she does, and who she's with.

1.) i ate better during my summer in drum corps than i do the rest of the year... by far

2.) Yes there is wear and tear on your body, i am in better condition now than i ever have been after a season of corps.

3.) do you know what its like to be running around for hours on end in 120 degree weather? Rehearsals are not supposed to be "family entertainment" they are supposed to be making the show the best it can be for competition... thats where your so called "family entertainment" is

4.) Hooking up??? are you serious?? after running around on field for 16 hours, i dont care how horny you are. SEx would be the last thing on your mind.

5.) showering is not coed, you get in, get clean, get out.

6.) Antics on the bus, yes they do happen. IF your child is an mature young man or woman they will be smart enough to stay out of it.

7.)The family is something you couldnt understand unless you have experienced it... which im guessing you haven't