The Frank Williams thread

Ok, time for another one...

We are in St. Louis or some such in 88. It is Frank's last day with the corps for a couple weeks as he has to return to FLA to attend to some HS stuff. He gathers the hornline around him before he leaves for the airport:

"I must leave you now. Today, you do not suck. You must continue to not suck. I will be back in two weeks, and if you are as good then as you are today, you WILL suck, and I will kill you. Now, I have things to do in Florida. I have to deal with my high school kids. And you may NOT suck while I am gone. Because, although I am not coming back for two weeks, if you suck, you will look into the sky and you will see me coming down from the sky with a parachute. And I WILL kick your ###. So if you think that you may want to suck, think twice because when I get off that parachute you will NOT like what I will do to you. Have a good two weeks."

Ok, time for another one...

We are in St. Louis or some such in 88. It is Frank's last day with the corps for a couple weeks as he has to return to FLA to attend to some HS stuff. He gathers the hornline around him before he leaves for the airport:

"I must leave you now. Today, you do not suck. You must continue to not suck. I will be back in two weeks, and if you are as good then as you are today, you WILL suck, and I will kill you. Now, I have things to do in Florida. I have to deal with my high school kids. And you may NOT suck while I am gone. Because, although I am not coming back for two weeks, if you suck, you will look into the sky and you will see me coming down from the sky with a parachute. And I WILL kick your ###. So if you think that you may want to suck, think twice because when I get off that parachute you will NOT like what I will do to you. Have a good two weeks."

Now that is just too good, classic beyond words!

Edited by Whiskey

One summer in the 90's Frank was brought in to consult with the Spirit hornline for about a week. Due to some health issues he needed to ride in a vehicle which could stop more often than the buses. He didn't like riding with visual and drum staff only (who usually drove and rode the staff van) so I ended up sharing a van with him every night so he had someone on the brass staff to commiserate with.

Having marched in the 80's in Spirit's line while he was teaching Suncoast, we had an interesting perspective to share with each other. One night I told him I had spoken to Freddy Martin (the director and brass caption head at Spirit in the 80's) earlier that day and he had told me to "Tell ole kick'em in the shins Frank I said hello"...... Frank IMMEDIATELY responded "Well if THAT ain't the mother ####### pot calling this old ####### kettle black...." and then proceded to launch into some of his favorite stories about people being "Martinized" (He and Freddy later that summer had a big laugh raggin on each other about the infamous stories about them both)

Hearing the stories of the old Suncoast/Spirit rivalry from the opposite side of the fence was pretty humorous and enlightening for Frank and I both.

And to whoever already said it, I agree; I cannot fathom Frank not already being in the Hall of Fame. His body of work is CERTAINLY deserving of it. I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Edited by nhsalan

The day before Quarterfinals in 2000. Frank takes off his shorts and stands on top of the scaffolding in his tighty-whities. "I am not putting my pants back on until the horn line plays that correctly!!!"

In 2001, we were tracking the opener. However this tracking exercise called for us to change direction as a block to go with the drill set counts in our show. We started off in our standard 4x4 step block, and of course many people missed direction changes. So Frank gets ###### as only Frank can...he closed us down to a 2 step spacing...front to back.

"This exercise is now called 'Kill the Dummy'! I dare you to screw up now!!!"

Needless to say...the hornline had never been more focused...

• Like 1

Ok, next...

In 87 Frank used to always ##### about a certain corps' (that won brass in 86) contra line. Would always say things like "their MFing contras kneeled down on the front sideline the whole ####### show and you STILL couldn't hear them!" (Note, no offense, just relating a story)

Fast forward to 1988. The day after we saw Star for the first time, Frank is working the hornline. He stops for a moment and asks if we had watched Star the night before. Most people say yeah. Then he asks the contra line if we heard their contras. Thinking that I know where he was going with this, I shout out "NO!".

He looks at me, with those glasses, and says "Then you are either deaf or stupid. They have one of the best contra lines I have ever heard, and you guys are not even close. When we see them tonight, I want to see you seven hanging on the front gate and listening to a real line. Learn something."

I felt about an inch tall.

The day before Quarterfinals in 2000. Frank takes off his shorts and stands on top of the scaffolding in his tighty-whities. "I am not putting my pants back on until the horn line plays that correctly!!!"

In 2001, we were tracking the opener. However this tracking exercise called for us to change direction as a block to go with the drill set counts in our show. We started off in our standard 4x4 step block, and of course many people missed direction changes. So Frank gets ###### as only Frank can...he closed us down to a 2 step spacing...front to back.

"This exercise is now called 'Kill the Dummy'! I dare you to screw up now!!!"

Needless to say...the hornline had never been more focused...

ROFL! Kill the Dummy! That sounds VERY familiar!

Ok, next...

In 87 Frank used to always ##### about a certain corps' (that won brass in 86) contra line. Would always say things like "their MFing contras kneeled down on the front sideline the whole ####### show and you STILL couldn't hear them!" (Note, no offense, just relating a story)

Fast forward to 1988. The day after we saw Star for the first time, Frank is working the hornline. He stops for a moment and asks if we had watched Star the night before. Most people say yeah. Then he asks the contra line if we heard their contras. Thinking that I know where he was going with this, I shout out "NO!".

He looks at me, with those glasses, and says "Then you are either deaf or stupid. They have one of the best contra lines I have ever heard, and you guys are not even close. When we see them tonight, I want to see you seven hanging on the front gate and listening to a real line. Learn something."

I felt about an inch tall.

Open mouth, insert foot....to the knee!

Open mouth, insert foot....to the knee!

Yeah, on hot days I still get the taste of rubber in there...