An Idea

How cool would it be to see corps from all over the US participate in the opening ceremonies after DCI Finals? Imagine leaving Indianapolis (if DCI is there in 2016) heading to the stadium for the Opening ceremonies for rehearsal. Then DCI in front of THE WORLD!

I know it's a cool idea but some may find fault.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How cool would it be to see corps from all over the US participate in the opening ceremonies after DCI Finals? Imagine leaving Indianapolis (if DCI is there in 2016) heading to the stadium for the Opening ceremonies for rehearsal. Then DCI in front of THE WORLD!

As long as they don't play that retreat song and #### all over it in front of the entire world. :)

Slightly off topic, can anybody confirm or deny whether SCV actually did an exhibition at the closing ceremonies in LA in 1984? I know they were supposed to, but did they in fact?

I don't remember SCV in 1984, but I do remember 1980 and 27th Lancers in Lake Placid.

I wonder how many people had that same thought last night during the closing ceremony? Get an "All-Star" group to do a show, then have the top 12 corps come in to do "America."

Not "America/O Canada"......just "America."

They had The Cadets in '96 - Atlanta.

Honestly, after seeing what the Chinese did for their opening (and most of their closing) ceremonies, and as much as I love drum corps, I don't think 1000 or so horn players would be all that much to look at or listen to. Now if they could coordinate something with a bunch of drum corps drummers like they did in Beijing...now we're talking!

Out of curiosity, I googled the dates:

Chicago Olympics Bid

July 22, 2016 - August 7, 2016

Drum Corps International: DCI World Championships

August 9, 2016 ‑ August 13, 2016

Looks like closing ceremonies coincide nicely with DCI week.... hmm... food for thought alright!

Out of curiosity, I googled the dates:

Chicago Olympics Bid

July 22, 2016 - August 7, 2016

Drum Corps International: DCI World Championships

August 9, 2016 ‑ August 13, 2016

Looks like closing ceremonies coincide nicely with DCI week.... hmm... food for thought alright!

Hah...I just went online and did the same thing and here you beat me to it!

Opening ceremonies would be in the thick of the competitive season, so some alterations would need to be made there to work in the Olympics. Closing ceremonies would be just prior to the World Championships, which raises a timing question.

But since the Olympics have never come close to a DCI Worlds site, if something could be worked out, it would be great exposure.

Can't you just see tens of thousands of new fans grooving to a soft ballad or something extremely musically esoteric?

Opening ceremonies would be in the thick of the competitive season, so some alterations would need to be made there to work in the Olympics. Closing ceremonies would be just prior to the World Championships, which raises a timing question.

But since the Olympics have never come close to a DCI Worlds site, if something could be worked out, it would be great exposure.

Keep in mind too, that Chicago's proposed Olympic budget is a mere $5 billion vs. Beijing's $40 billion. An American-as-apple-pie, self-supporting organization with a pre-produced show easy on pricey special effects might be an attractive proposition to the city organizers. ...Though by 2016, laser light shows and jet packs may standard fare for drum corps. :thumbup: