Really?

I disagree with you on this subject. World class caliber doesn't mean top 3 WC. It means that they could compete with others who are running a part time/regional approach, like Academy, Mandarins, Pacific Crest. Surf's show would have been right in the mix with these guys.

IMO, if OC finals were judged by world class standards the outcome would have been different.

World Class caliber SHOULD mean top 12. One could argue that Academy, Mandarins, PC, etc are not World Class caliber shows either. There is a significant difference in show design/quality that separates them from the "big boys". The World class title should be based on skill set....it's like having a triple A baseball team try and say they're major league quality when they're clearly not...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

World Class is based on a skill set. A skill set made up of an administration that can put a World Class corps on the field, a group of staff and players that are up for the challenge and an overseeing organization that approves of it.

If an Open Class corps asks to be considered for WC, and DCI approves it...then guess what.....they are World Class bassed on standards set forth by the activity. And their criteria doesn't say "must be top 12" to be considered. Drumcorps is about other things than Top 12.

As long as no Mallard ducks are harmed during the performance of the piece - it sounds fascinating! As far as the conch goes and being a vegetarian, we can work on "To-Conch-Fu" substitute.

:thumbs-up:

Yummy.

Some of my favorite shows from last year and previous years didnt make the top twelve. To use 2007 as an example I thoroughly enjoyed madisons show that year and so did the crowd IIRC. Drum Corps is more about just making the top 12. This year I really enjoyed the colts show. But hey what am I? I'm new to this activity what do i know?

Any top teir open class show could compete with any lower teir world class corps. Take magic 2002. What happened there can't happen again due to DCI rules but it sent a nice message to World Class(at the tim Division 1) corps that Open class(Division 2/3) wasn't just something thats cute and crappy.

Some people do it for the competition, some for the experience, and some for the crowd response(like me). I was happier with 5th place this year at Teal then our 3rd last year for one reason. Last year we didn't get a single standing ovation through finals week. This year we were one of two corps who got Full crowd standing ovations at every show finals week.

Just my two cents after watching this whole thing happen on here.

Definately want to try conch now... :)