DCI 09 Hotels

Living in Indy and down there frequently, there are a bunch of hotels all within walking distance and more going up all the time, especially near the stadium. At the high end there is the Conrad (and that rate is actually quite good), Omni, Marriott, Wyndham, Hilton, Embassy Suites, etc. The middle end is growing quickly. The cheapies are clustered on the outskirts of town or out near the airport, but I know folks who got $69 night for very nice LaQuintas(with breakfast) near the airport for finals week, and a short hop downtown from there.

I also had lots of people tell me the rates they got via DCI, which is closely tied in with the Convention and Vistitors Association,

were usually the best rates versus going on your own.

As to parking, there are options there, too. The Circle Center lots, either directly under the mall or across the street over the Ram Restaurant on Illinois, are far more reasonable..so may be worth dropping the luggage and parking a block away in those malls. My guess is that many people will rent cars the first year, barely use them, and decide not to after that.

Seriously, folks, if you haven't been here for an event, Indy downtown is VERY compact.

...I also had lots of people tell me the rates they got via DCI, which is closely tied in with the Convention and Vistitors Association,

Do you have to call DCI for this, or is there a link for this online? The only promised hotel link I could find on DCI's website, right now, http://www.dci.org/indy , only links you to info on the 2008 championships. I already have a room I booked on my own, but I'd like to check and see if DCI's rates are better.

...My guess is that many people will rent cars the first year, barely use them, and decide not to after that.

Seriously, folks, if you haven't been here for an event, Indy downtown is VERY compact.

I agree. All the downtown Indy shopping, and there is a lot for those who want that, is also within easy walking distance of the downtown hotels. People looking for something to do during the days might be interested in visiting Indy's beautiful park and museum campus, which is about one to miles west of downtown and an easy and safe walk, or accessible by bus or cab. There's also the Indianapolis Speedway, worth touring once at least if you have any interest in auto racing, as you can visit a museum with lots of race artifacts and take a ride around the track in a tour bus if they're not running cars on the track that day. That's oh, maybe, three miles northwest of downtown and a bus or cab ride away. About the only thing some drum corps fans might want a car for, if they're staying downtown, is visiting corps housing and rehearsal sites.

Do you have to call DCI for this, or is there a link for this online? The only promised hotel link I could find on DCI's website, right now, http://www.dci.org/indy , only links you to info on the 2008 championships. I already have a room I booked on my own, but I'd like to check and see if DCI's rates are better.

they usually announce it later in the fall (?) i think.

hopefully they're the ones blocking off my hilton choices. i'd really like to use/get some points. URGH!!!

My guess is that they just don't have it up yet for next year, but will soon. Opening regular season game tonight!

the Hilton family of hotels (embassy suites, hampton inn, doubletree, hilton garden inn, homewood suites) all have government/military discounts.

Thanks for the info.

My guess is that they just don't have it up yet for next year, but will soon. Opening regular season game tonight!

Yeah, we'll get a good look at the inside of Lucas Oil Stadium on NBC tonight (Sunday). Then when you said this:

I also had lots of people tell me the rates they got via DCI, which is closely tied in with the Convention and Vistitors Association,

you were referring to the initial round of Indy reservations for 2008. I thought you meant DCI was already taking hotel reservations for 2009 and people were getting better rates with them than they'd gotten on their own. Later, later. OK.