DCI 09 Hotels

Hi all,

so a bunch of us are planning on going to DCI in '09 and would like to reserve our room early (just in case).

So does anyone know what the closest hotel to the stadium would be? I've heard that there are some that are actually walking distance - which would be great.

Any info would be much apreciated.

Later,

Mike

You can walk out the back door of this place and be at the stadium in minutes:

www.staybridge.com

It's on West Street.

Try this:

http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelS...=city&hotel

If this link doesn't work to show you the search results, you can regenerate them yourself: Travelocity doesn't know where Lucas Oil Stadium is yet, but enter the address 500 S. Capital Av., Indianapolis, IN, and if it doesn't do so automatically, tell it to Sort the results by Distance [which will show you the hotels ranked by closest distance to the stadium, and give you the approximate distance].

As you can see, most downtown Indy hotels are clustered between or east of the area between the Indiana State House and Lucas Oil Stadium and are within walking distance-- at least, it would be faster and cheaper to walk than it would be to move your car through traffic and repark it at the stadium or hotel. Note that these hotels will generally charge a guest something like $20-30 a day to park there. Of course, so would the stadium, I expect. If you're flying in to Indy and staying at one of these in-close downtown hotels, a car may not be necessary. For many people, it would make more sense financially to skip a car rental, get a cab from the airport to your hotel, and forgo the hotel's parking charges. Just be sure that you do have a downtown hotel and that your hotel is close enough to walk to the stadium. If you are driving and parking at a downtown hotel, you want to pin down what the daily charge is for parking, whether valet parking is required, and whether parking fees include in-and-out privileges. There are also lots of restaurants and bars within walking distance of these downtown hotels, so you don't really need a car for that, either.

It is a city and there are no guarantees, obvously, but there are lots of people walking between the stadium area and the hotels anyway even at 11pm, so it's reasonably safe to walk between stadium and hotel after a show.

Edited by Peel Paint

i looked at that comfort suites too. my guess is DCI is locking all the rooms up right now

It looks like DCI has already blocked many hotels, which may not be a bad thing. This year, before the move to Bloomington was announced, rooms at the Omni were available through DCI for about $120/night. Currently they are quoting about $230/night.

Be sure to join iGive.com and go through their search engine (isearch.igive.com) when booking hotels. Not all participate in the iGive program, but those that do will give a % of your room rate to the corps of your choice. Don't search the url (i.e. choicehotels.com), just search the name (i.e. choice hotels).

Searching this way will send $.01 to your corps for the actual search, and typically 1%-3% of the room rate to your corps. Hilton gives 1.6%, Hotels.com gives 2%, Expedia gives .8%, Westin gives .8%, Choice Hotels gives 2.4% (Comfort Inn/Suites, Quality Inn, Clarion, EconoLodge, Rodeway). A typical stay of $150/night for 4 nights booked at Choice Hotels would send over $14 to your corps, and cost you nothing.

Madison Scouts fans, click here to join iGive.com.

all the hilton family hotels seem to be "unavailable" at the moment.

except for the conrad...it's at 206$ a night.

That price for the Conrad really isn't bad at all. The week after Finals, I booked the Hilton downtown, while there was still availability, at $161. I probably would have sprung for the extra at the Conrad, had I seen that. The Hilton is something like 4 blocks away but the Conrad is closer (any locals care to verify that?)

Hilton reservations tells me the Conrad is closer to $250 now, though :thumbup:

A number of years ago, a friend and I went to the Indy regional and stayed on the outskirts of town. It's a lot cheaper but something of a pain, plus you'd then need a car.

Edited by Phillygwm