a Minor Chord

So I watched Madison Scouts 2002 show today(which is a great show), and during the end realized that the ending was much different from what I usually hear in drum corps shows. A Minor Chord? When was the last time you've heard that at the end of a drum corps show? Maybe Minor is just a bad choice to end on design-wise...idono...

Most drum corps shows has very similar ways of ending the show. The choices usually consist of...

#1) Major chord(obviously most popular choice)

#2) Unison

#3) "Jazz Chord"(you know what I'm talking about :tongue: )

#4) "Angry" chord including a blatantly dissonant tritone laying somewhere in there...(think Star 93)

If you're wondering why...I'm a bored Music Ed student who is applying as much newfound knowledge to other things as he can.

...so...can anyone name any other shows ending in a Minor Chord...because I'm having trouble coming with one off the top of my head :whistle:

Discuss amongst yourselves.

...also if that 2002 Scouts chord happens to be an open fifth and NOT a minor chord I'll gladly slap myself in the face :thumbup:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, most of those "jazz chords" you're talking about ARE minor chords, or are set upon scales in the Dorian mode.

I'm pretty sure Cadets 07 ended in a minor chord.

I don't think so. It sounds like a major chord with a sharp 4 in the mellos.

...also if that 2002 Scouts chord happens to be an open fifth and NOT a minor chord I'll gladly slap myself in the face :thumbup:

No worries, it's minor. The penultimate "chord" sounds like an open fifth, though. I think what's weird about it is that in the buildup to the end there are some flat twos and flat sixes that makes the resolution to the open fifth very satisfying, regardless of its "missing" third. And when the minor third pops in at the end it's almost like a reverse picardy third. (not a music major, so I'm sure my terminology is off somewhere)

I don't think so. It sounds like a major chord with a sharp 4 in the mellos.

Yes, aka the "drum corps" chord.

I thought that was any major chord held for 8 counts, with the last four counts including an alto popping the 5th above the top note!

Nah, that's the drum corps STYLE... usually applied to the drum corps CHORD...

but good call.

well played, good sir.

edit... missed a whole section from OP. answered my own question. :)

Edited by GeorgeHester