Marching snare tilt.

RevPit08

:smile: and that as they say, is that. Gimmick talk done. winner.

I'm more interested in any potential loss of rebound from the right hand. As discussed earlier, if I was to implement this w/ my h.s., should I verbally say "change your right hand stroke such that it rebounds perpendicular to the head" ?? or is the difference so minor it doesnt effect technique?

The stroke of either hand should not be changed. Think of tilting the hands to the same degree the drum was tilted to. I have found that when teaching this technique, students will often develop a slicing motion with the right hand if they think about altering the stroke. Hand position is the most important starting place (after a thorough understanding of grip, of course). The hand position must remain relative to the drum position.

I have used the tilt approach over the last seven years with great results. Some may write it off as a gimmick, and in many cases it is used as such. However, it is another aproach we have in our arsenal as teachers to reach the desired end result.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stroke of either hand should not be changed. Think of tilting the hands to the same degree the drum was tilted to. I have found that when teaching this technique, students will often develop a slicing motion with the right hand if they think about altering the stroke. The hand position must remain relative to the drum position.

So is that a yes or no to my question. -- you say students tend to develop a slice, and thats precisely what I want to avoid, however if the alternative is a vertical y-axis stroke, but loses rebound b/c of the angle of the drum, then I think I'd take the slice.

Elaborate a little more..?

So is that a yes or no to my question. -- you say students tend to develop a slice, and thats precisely what I want to avoid, however if the alternative is a vertical y-axis stroke, but loses rebound b/c of the angle of the drum, then I think I'd take the slice.

Elaborate a little more..?

I think it could have been a little clearer.

The answer to your original question is yes. The right hand stroke will be at an angle to the floor, and perpendicular with the new angle of the drum. To achieve this, don;t have your students consciously think about turning their wrist, but rather letting the right arm hang relaxed by the side of their body, and the in turn will happen naturally.