What to practice when you have nothing to practice.

crazymello

And speaking of,,,

If you work hard on this one page out of the Schlossberg book you are going to be way ahead of the rest.

Most DCI corps use some variation of these exercises.

Great tips at the bottom of the page about position of the mouthpiece and how to form a good embouchure

schlossberg.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And speaking of,,,

If you work hard on this one page out of the Schlossberg book you are going to be way ahead of the rest.

Most DCI corps use some variation of these exercises.

Great tips at the bottom of the page about position of the mouthpiece and how to form a good embouchure

schlossberg.jpg

You will find some controversial issues in the schlossberg method of pulling the corners of the lips back to breath.Many people teaching brass lines today suggest that dropping the jaw.This may allow more air to be allowed in but I disagree with it from a high brass stand point.As a low brass player dropping the jaw makes seance.Wih the jaw dropped the low brass player only needs a marginal shift in his embouchure to get back into playing position.A high brass player on the other hand has a tiny mouthpiece to work with and needs more time to get a perfect 1/4 top 2/3 bottom reset of the embouchure.Therefore a high brass player should use the Schlossberg method for breathing in.

Not every brass technician is going to agree with that preferring to teach the entire line as a whole of dropping the jaw for a breath and you may be forced to do so.

Go with the FLOW.Corps is all about doing things together so there may be some merit in teaching high brass players to drop the jaw.

I may or may not have been there, and it is a controversial point as to whether or not I have done that. <_< OR HAVE I?

skip DCI and go right to all age, DCA. Heck, you've already passed most of the audition requirements. You are breathing on your own...right?

You would think that would be the case :tongue:

skip DCI and go right to all age, DCA. Heck, you've already passed most of the audition requirements. You are breathing on your own...right?

We are thinking of a mandatory dephibulator test since our average age is so high. :tongue:

Clarke studies...plain and simple.

In every key, as well as long tones, with a tuner to check the pitch of each note. Learn the "problem" notes on your horn as well as any alternate fingerings. Yes, I am a tuba player, so much of this applies to the big horns and to a lesser degree on the smaller bores. Maybe. :rolleyes:

In every key, as well as long tones, with a tuner to check the pitch of each note. Learn the "problem" notes on your horn as well as any alternate fingerings. Yes, I am a tuba player, so much of this applies to the big horns and to a lesser degree on the smaller bores. Maybe. :rolleyes:

As a lead sop player,,,I have no idea what you are talking about. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy::wub:

As a lead sop player,,,I have no idea what you are talking about. :worthy::blink::worthy::wub:

See, you guys don't even need the 2nd valve most of the time!!! :worthy:

(and for the record, I can do everything with a 2V and slide!!!, but that is how I was taught) :rolleyes: