Tuba

ussglassman

Are they the 4/4 yamahas or the 3/4's? I played a 3/4 in high school/ The 4/4's are higher quality.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they the 4/4 yamahas or the 3/4's? I played a 3/4 in high school/ The 4/4's are higher quality.

The 105Cs are the 3/4 size, the 201Cs are the 4/4s.

Edited by G_Bass

• 3 weeks later...

Well this past summer, the corps I marched with was using the Dynasty 4/4, but because we upgraded to 12 tubas, dynasty sent us 2 more 5/4 (blue devils 2007 horns woot! :) lol ). I personally got to play one of the 5/4 and have been marching with the 4/4 the past 3 years. The only problem to me was the extra 5 pounds, lol. Personally, ive played kanstul, king, yamaha, and both dynastys now, and In order from best to worst I would say

1. King (newest model)

2. Dynasty 5/4

3. Kanstul

4. Dynasty 4/4

5. Yamaha

I only place yamaha so low because it doesnt feel like a tuba, and the sound isnt as rich as the others. I have yet to play the new Jupiter model. Looks weird, and Ive heard there are alot of tuning problems. I dont know why most top corps don't use king, because IMO king are the best way to go for a dark, rich sound.

Well this past summer, the corps I marched with was using the Dynasty 4/4, but because we upgraded to 12 tubas, dynasty sent us 2 more 5/4 (blue devils 2007 horns woot! :) lol ). I personally got to play one of the 5/4 and have been marching with the 4/4 the past 3 years. The only problem to me was the extra 5 pounds, lol. Personally, ive played kanstul, king, yamaha, and both dynastys now, and In order from best to worst I would say

1. King (newest model)

2. Dynasty 5/4

3. Kanstul

4. Dynasty 4/4

5. Yamaha

I only place yamaha so low because it doesnt feel like a tuba, and the sound isnt as rich as the others. I have yet to play the new Jupiter model. Looks weird, and Ive heard there are alot of tuning problems. I dont know why most top corps don't use king, because IMO king are the best way to go for a dark, rich sound.

I've noticed the sound on the 4/4 Dynasty doesnt carry much "bass." I've played one next to a 4/4 Conn 12j, and the conn wasn't quite as loud, but it sounded deeper and had a warmer tone to it. I guess some horns were built to sound good by themselves, and some were built to only sound good in a line of 12.

I've noticed the sound on the 4/4 Dynasty doesnt carry much "bass." I've played one next to a 4/4 Conn 12j, and the conn wasn't quite as loud, but it sounded deeper and had a warmer tone to it. I guess some horns were built to sound good by themselves, and some were built to only sound good in a line of 12.

Also, I dunno how they rate the sizes of marching horns, but why is it that a drum corps 4/4 is the size of a 5/4 concert tuba, and a drum corps 5/4 is the size of a 6/4 concert tuba?

I dunno how they rate the sizes of marching horns, but why is it that a drum corps 4/4 "tuba" is the size of a 5/4 concert tuba, and a drum corps 5/4 is the size of a 6/4 concert tuba?

• 1 month later...

Since I've only marched with Yamaha, I can't really compare or contrast. All I have to say is that it is light-ish and extremely well balanced, and if you know what you are doing when playing a tuba, you can sound great.

I dunno how they rate the sizes of marching horns, but why is it that a drum corps 4/4 "tuba" is the size of a 5/4 concert tuba, and a drum corps 5/4 is the size of a 6/4 concert tuba?

Cause we're awesome. :thumbdown:

I've always wanted to try a yamaha 202. I've played the dynasty 875 (BD, glassmen, etc) tuba extensively, and it is horribly unbalanced. I could never seem to fill it with enough air to produce volume, and the general design is misplaced for what someone would need to grab on the go. It seems like it would be an awesome upright concert tuba though, and worked great when I've played it indoors sitting down, despite having to hold almost the entire weight of the horn by the valves. Seems like the leadpipe could stand to be shortened at the mouthpiece reciever so the horn sits about 3-4 inches farther back. That would give the valves just enough clearance in front of your face while creating optimal balance.