2009 Schedule

When is the next seasons schedule announced usually?

Is there a way to guess when certain events might be based on previous years, or is it all just really random?

Edited by doyle079

When is the next seasons schedule announced usually?

After the DCI winter meetings in Florida.

Is there a way to guess when certain events might be based on previous years, or is it all just really random?

It will probably be more consistant with finals locked into Indy/Mich.City. Shifting finals precipitates shifting dates for regionals to create a smooth tour progression.

Garry in Vegas

They traditionally announce the major events in the winter and slowly release the rest of the schedule in February or March.

From what I recall, the whole schedule came out a bit early this year.

As for "certain dates" usually Allentown is the last week before finals, then working backwards you have the Atlanta and San Antonio regionals

Ah, since it's getting predictable, they'll be making some big changes this year, I'm sure. If McCain-Palin get elected, I bet DCI drops San Antonio. The week after Denver, they'll send everybody up for a "Drums Across The Cook Inlet" Alaskan super-regional at Wasilla High School. :thumbup: The buses should be able to get up there and back in about two-and-a-half weeks, and they can stop for local shows along the Yukon Highway.

Ah, since it's getting predictable, they'll be making some big changes this year, I'm sure. If McCain-Palin get elected, I bet DCI drops San Antonio. The week after Denver, they'll send everybody up for a "Drums Across The Cook Inlet" Alaskan super-regional at Wasilla High School. :thumbup: The buses should be able to get up there and back in about two-and-a-half weeks, and they can stop for local shows along the Yukon Highway.

But that would interfere with plans for the big championship show in Puerto Rico.

(No, I'm not being serious, for those who thought my April Fools Day posting a few years ago about sending Tour of Champions to Hawaii, posted in a thread with "April Fools" in the title, was real.)

Allentown is July 31 and August 1, 2009.

But that would interfere with plans for the big championship show in Puerto Rico.

Hmmm.... Puerto Rico... I like it. Having a championship show in the tropics where buses and semi-trailer trucks can't go without the assistance of air transport or freighter ships during hurricane season could really spice things up for each corps' Tour Manager and fund raising committee, but on the other hand, Puerto Rico can't compete with Wasilla's ability to start a mid-July super-regional with prelims at 7pm and still be going in daylight at 6 in the morning when finals end. Think of the savings and green appeal in stadium lighting costs, Mike. It could probably pay for a summer's supply of vegan ice "cream" for each corps. The kids are awake most of the night, anyway, so it won't mess up their circadian rhythms, much.

Hmmm.... Puerto Rico... I like it. Having a championship show in the tropics where buses and semi-trailer trucks can't go without the assistance of air transport or freighter ships during hurricane season could really spice things up for each corps' Tour Manager and fund raising committee, but on the other hand, Puerto Rico can't compete with Wasilla's ability to start a mid-July super-regional with prelims at 7pm and still be going in daylight at 6 in the morning when finals end. Think of the savings and green appeal in stadium lighting costs, Mike. It could probably pay for a summer's supply of vegan ice "cream" for each corps. The kids are awake most of the night, anyway, so it won't mess up their circadian rhythms, much.

Well, if you're going to throw in vegan ice cream, count me on board! Tofutti for everyone!

Like the aforementioned drum corps trip to Hawaii, Puerto Rico's championship could be accomplished with a few C5A Galaxy transports. The logistics are quite small compared to the joy it would bring to a whole new group of drum corps fans.

And I wouldn't worry about the hurricane season. All that brass playing at once should be able to alter the path of any minor weather disturbance. If we can't use the Estadio Sixto Escobar, , we can move it indoors at the Puerto Rico Convention Center. Okay, so it's all on one floor and people wouldn't get a sense of the drill. But remember, they've never had a DCI show on the island.

I heard they shoot busses from helicopters up there.

Ah, since it's getting predictable, they'll be making some big changes this year, I'm sure. If McCain-Palin get elected, I bet DCI drops San Antonio. The week after Denver, they'll send everybody up for a "Drums Across The Cook Inlet" Alaskan super-regional at Wasilla High School. :smile: The buses should be able to get up there and back in about two-and-a-half weeks, and they can stop for local shows along the Yukon Highway.

And just think.... if the politicos had gone ahead with plans for that "Bridge to Nowhere," then Nowhere could have hosted a show on the Alaska tour, too. :thumbup:

Fran