Copycats

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as the guard toss or exchange, guards like Phantom Regiment, Cavaliers and 27th Lancers made it look effortlessly. It was often imitated by other groups over the years and made several appearances in the indoor guard world.

Like History, I do see it being implemented in future shows but of course with a new twist.

82 and 83.....84 was "Karn Evil 9"....but yeah....I forgot to mention that one!

And the ultimate "copycat"....82 Freelancers and Spirit....both playing "You are the Sunshine of my Life."

If you listen to Freelancer's 82 show closely during the Sop solo in in "You are the Sunshine of my life" you can hear a snip of "You are my Sunshine"

just some useless drum corps trivia

I kind of tend to come down on the side of coincidence with this topic too. Back in 1983 The Knights and I think ( if memory serves) The Crossmen, both opened with The Overature to Russlan and Ludmilla.

I kind of tend to come down on the side of coincidence with this topic too. Back in 1983 The Knights and I think ( if memory serves) The Crossmen, both opened with The Overature to Russlan and Ludmilla.

Crossmen sops played the fancy lick at the beginning. Geneseo put it in the mallets.

If you listen to Freelancer's 82 show closely during the Sop solo in in "You are the Sunshine of my life" you can hear a snip of "You are my Sunshine"

just some useless drum corps trivia

Since you brought up "You are my Sunshine," that tune was the opener for Suncoast Sound as well as Spirit of Atlanta in 1982. Although the two arrangements were drastically different they were adapted from the same Singers Unlimited version of the song.

Since you brought up "You are my Sunshine," that tune was the opener for Suncoast Sound as well as Spirit of Atlanta in 1982. Although the two arrangements were drastically different they were adapted from the same Singers Unlimited version of the song.

And here's a bit of trivia. Which corps played this song in 1981 for their production number?

Float actually started writing accelerandos into his drum solos as far back as '79 Spirit of Atlanta.

Indeed he did, and 'Geodesic Dances' is a great drum solo, but other corps didn't start doing them until after 'Paradox.'