Copycats

And boy did it ever! :smile:

Being a 15-year-old kid from NJ, marching in a Garden State Circuit small corps, I did not get to see any of the corps outside of my area, until I went to Philly for the VFW Nats finals. I was amazed that not only did ONE corps play that lousy tune (Garfield, who I had seen many times over the summer, as I had good friends there), but ANOTHER one did too (Anaheim).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can a corps copy themselves? :smile:

Bleu Raeders - Proud Mary every year except for the Children of Sanchez year

Blue Stars did Malaguena in 1970.

Around 1969-1970 bunches of corps were playing "Sounds of Silence" and "Scarborough Fair" or both.

Several played "Russian Sailor Dance" in 1973--Black Knights, Commodores and Windjammers. Cavaliers held off until 1976 to play it.

"Hall of the Mountain King" was played by the Northernaires in 1967. They played it again in 1968 along with Cavaliers and Blue Stars.

"Crown Imperial" was done by both Black Knights and 27th Lancers in 1973. Both in finals

CapitolAires and Coachmen did "A League of Their Own" in 1994.

Add the Auburn Purple Lancers to your 1973 list. We, in fact did Crown Imperial AND Russian Sailors Dance in the same show. We were 17th in prelims but won the first DAY ofprelims. We were beaten by 3-4 corps that we had been beating until prelims.

Donny

I remember two corps playing the same song(Procession of the Nobels) off the line in 1968. One from the West coast(SCV) and one from the East coast (The Sunrisers ) That was a tough chart to play and both Corps played it great. I doubt either Corps knew the other was playing the same song until the season was started.

We played El Gato Triste in 1979 and 1980. I remember pulling into a show site about half way through the season in 1980 and hearing someone else playing it! It turned out to be North Star. They had trashed their original opener from early in the year and changed to El Gato. We were NOT happy campers :thumbup: .

ahh.. so you guys copied Oakland Crusaders then from the previous two years????

LOL

that was a popular piece back then,,,

We played El Gato Triste in 1979 and 1980. I remember pulling into a show site about half way through the season in 1980 and hearing someone else playing it! It turned out to be North Star. They had trashed their original opener from early in the year and changed to El Gato. We were NOT happy campers :worthy: .

I checked corpsreps. Did you know that Long Island Kingsmen and Alberta All Girls played Fifth of Beethoven in 1977?

How did we manage to copy each other? :thumbup:

This might have been the ultimate copycat move: In 1968, the Kilties' opener, "Strike Up the Band," included a section about halfway through where they inserted a series of 4-count snippets of other corps' well-known music from the previous year. I think the corps they covered were Troopers, Royal Airs, DP Vanguard, and Cavies. It was a sort of "Name that Tune" thing that sounds goofy but came off really well, kind of as a respectful nod to their competitors (I think???). More Ken Norman genius...

[Footnote: the Kilties program in 1969 was just about a carbon copy of 1968---except they deleted this portion of their opener.]