Lucas Oil Stadium's first concert

davam

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got any guess on "Sound Check" crowds?

Since this is in the middle of marching season, and there are other contests around the area as well, I would not expect there to be much of a crowd.

I hope BOA opens ALL the sections, and not just the lower level. I want to know how it sounds upstairs as well as downstairs.

20+K? concert side filled?

if so cool

Yes, partially due to the following.

Each year, there is something like 80 bands that aren't in Finals, (including the Indianapolis School District bands that perform in their own festival prior to the regular competition bands). Every band has x-number of kids. Some bands have less than 100 and some more than 200. Most, I would guess, are around 150. Let's use that as our baseline. That's 12,000 kids right there. Throw in parents/chaperones and that number goes way up, as lots of parents travel with the bands as either helpers or supporters. That gives you close to 20,000 right there, and we haven't even added in the band directors that come for the seminars and all the fans that just come to see the show. Everyone who comes with their band and the band members all get tickets for Finals.

It is a MASSIVE event.

Nice to know my wife isn’t the only one whining about problems that haven’t happened.

Look, if there’s an issue – and there might not be any issue at all – it is that rain or imminent threat of rain would mean DCI championship week under the roof. It is a further assumption that acoustics under the roof would be undesirable.

Compared to what? A Kenny Chesney concert? Extrapolating what drum corps fans will hear in August from what those reviewers heard is the audio equivalent of predicting the finals order on DCP in September. There’s no basis whatsoever for comparing a pop concert with its giant speaker arrays (don’t even say it) against the brass and drums we’ll hear. None.

My wife coerced me into joining her for Kenny and Keith a few weeks back (don’t ask). We were among the farthest from the stage in an unroofed stadium and still the sound was too loud. Of course, it was distorted with the roof. It’s distorted without one too – not that it matters a lick where drum corps is concerned.

Me? I’ll worry about it if it rains. If.

HH

Yeah dude. Grand Nationals will draw that for sure. When's the last time you went?

never been just remember seeing vids from the early part of the decade where the crowd didnt look all that big

never been just remember seeing vids from the early part of the decade where the crowd didnt look all that big

It got larger after they went to two days of prelims. I don't remember when that was.

that would make sense. do they charge all the kids that dont make finals?

that would make sense. do they charge all the kids that dont make finals?

I "believe" not. From what I remember, it's part of the cost per head of a band attending the Championships. But I'm not entirely certain. I do believe the bands have to make the commitment to being there to the end of Finals. I know that all the bands are at Finals. That alone, with all the chaperones and other parents does a great job of filling it up, plus all the directors who come in for seminars.

The biggest difference from DCI, in my mind, is that with kids being in high school for only four years, they don't get the percentage of legacy fans the DCI does. DCI would have a greater number of people who go to shows each year who have no connection with anyone in a corps and are fans of the activity as opposed to a particular single school.